• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticketed before first posted sign of new speed limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluemtn

I am in Chicago, IL.

I was cited for speeding in a 45mph zone while accelerating out of a toll booth. The speed limit on the highway before the toll booth was 55mph. The speed limit after the toll booth is 45mph, but the first speed limit sign indicating this is posted after where I was pulled over (about 1/2 mile after the toll booth).

Do I have grounds for contesting my ticket given also that:

A) I was driving over 55mph
B) The most recent speed limit sign was the 5mph limit for driving through the toll lane. (Can this possibly mean the limit is 5mph for the next 1/2 mile?)

Thanks in advance.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
B) The most recent speed limit sign was the 5mph limit for driving through the toll lane. (Can this possibly mean the limit is 5mph for the next 1/2 mile?)
If it was a standard speed limit sign, yes actually it can mean that!

Are you sure there were no other signs that you missed in the toll plaza or right after it?

bluemtn

If it was a standard speed limit sign, yes actually it can mean that!

Are you sure there were no other signs that you missed in the toll plaza or right after it?
Yes. I drove by again yesterday and confirmed that it is after where I was pulled over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">