• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticketed for Driving Under Suspension (DUS) beyond your suspension date?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aleshirley

I'm pretty sure this belongs under CRIMINAL LAW which it is too posted there but I thought I'd throw it up here too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OHIO - My OVI/DUI suspension expired on 6/19/2007. I had dotted every 'I' and crossed every 'T' making sure I had completed everything required of me by the local municipality and the State of OH. I have carried the same insurance since before the initial DUI arrest and have had to provide this proof of insurance NUMEROUS times locally to the BMV and the court and to Columbus (state BMV office). I had beleived I had done everything necessary so much so that the local BMV exchanged my Yellow Plates and updated my registration, of course taking a look at my insurance and months prior I had paid my reinstatement fees and showed proof to the Columbus office and received a new Driver's License. Apparently I need to show Columbus one more time (although I hadn't received any notification of this and there would be no reason for me to fail to do this portion of my reinstatement considering I've carried the same insurance since before the charges) and I was pulled over and ticketed for DUS. I appeared at an arraingment and plead not guilty however I now have to go back to court to prove that this was some sort of error and that the state did not notify me that I must provide this proof, yet again, until after I received the DUS ticket (suspension over 6/19; received DUS ticket 7/3; received letter from state requesting my insurance verification on 7/6) -- Does anyone have any experince with this - Will this get dropped? Will I just be treated as an other ole' DUS offender even though my suspension was expired? I need help and can not afford an attorney and I can not have one appointment because, suprise, I'm not starving so I make too much money.
Any thoughts, suggestion or advice or shared experience will be helpful!
Thanks, ALES

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">