• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticketed For Speeding in a School Zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andallthatjazz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Ticket for speeding in a school zone

I was approaching a school zone not aware of the time of day when I noticed a school bus pulling out from a side road into my lane of travel on a major roadway (traveling on a 4 lane undivided highway in the center most lane usual speed limit 55).
I thought it odd that a bus would pull into this lane and then I was very surprised that the bus doors were open while traveling so I sped up to look again.

Subsequently I was stopped by a motorcycle police officer about 3/4 of a mile down the road (way past the school zone) for doing 45 in a 35 school zone.
I was dumbfounded as to why the officer stopped me as I was unaware of the time and had not seen any precautionary lights. I accepted the ticket and went on my way.

When I reviewed what had happened I realized I did not see the School Warning Lights "SPEED LIMIT 35 WHEN FLASHING) due to the bus obstructing my view when coming into my lane. The School Warning Light is about 30 to 40 feet from the corner of this road the bus was pulling out of. I have had a pretrial and have opted to have a trial without a jury (appear before the judge).

I did not intentionally break the law. Is there a chance they would perhaps reduce the fine and give me a spank on the hand? Or that they might let me off. Any advice would be appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

andallthatjazz

Yes and I was going as fast as the school bus. My case is I couldn't see the school zone speed limit light flashing cause the bus had obstructed my view.

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Ticket for speeding in a school zone

I was approaching a school zone not aware of the time of day
Not being aware of the time of day is not a justifiable excuse for trying to get out of a speeding ticket. Unless you're suggesting that there should be a giant clock showing what time it is on your approach towards a school zone.

I_Got_Banned

I am not trying to justify my ticket by any means other than the fact my view of the school zone light was obstructed. :mad:
Then maybe you can argue your case based on the fact that the speed limit sign, along with the flashing lights is not properly placed. (You can research proer sign placement by looking through what is referred to as the MUTCD (Manual for Uniform Control Devices) for you state). However, and unless you can establish that the sign was not properly placed, my guess is you will lose that argument as easily as you will lose any other one suggested by any of your posts.

And by the way, I am not judging your guilt or innocence; that is far from being my job. I am merely advising you that, in my opinion, the arguments that you have offered here to substantiate your innocence will more likely fail to achieve your goal in court, that's all!

andallthatjazz

Thank you very much for your advice...I appreciate your comments, as this can only help me see how others might relate to my presentation. Again, sincerely, Thank you.

AHA

I live by a school, and when there are schoolbuses around it's a clear indication that there is school "activity" (meaning you slow down).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">