• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tickets from 1993

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bullwhip

What is the name of your state?I Live in Nevada, but I used to ive in Florida. Just recently I received a notice from a collection agency saying that I have 2 pending Miami-Dade County Traffic Cases going back to 1993 & 1992. Total due is $281.40.
One of these cases is a speeding ticket for which I attended court, but was dismissed due to the cop not being there! The other I do not remember. Should I pay these or fight them? Do I have any options? They're saying my NV license may be suspended. Can they do that? I never received any notices in FL after the court appearance and left in 1996!
Please help.

bobinga

Don't pay that agency

If you went to court and it was dismissed, there must be a transcript. Get a copy of that. Call the court in question to find out how.

You also are entitled to a copy of the original citation from both cases. It seems many localities are using colleciton agencies now, and don't always discern whether the cases they turn over have been settled or not. Likewise, the collection agency only wants your money, and may not reliably report that you've paid them anything.

I would get in touch with the court where the second citation was filed, and get a copy of all paperwork. then you might have basis to challenge it; or, at least you'll know what you're paying for. AND <this is really important>> pay the court, not the agency.

Since I'm not a lawyer, that is my humble opinion. Chances are, you were targeted because you live so far from where the tickets were issued and are unlikely to challenge them. Most people would just pay up to get it over with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">