• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tickets and asking for a trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Chapel Hill, NC

If a person gets a moving violation such as running a red light, failure to stop at a stop sign, etc..., can that person ask for a jury trial? I ask because I was supposedly seen by a cop who said I did not properly stop at a stop sign before making a turn. I know without doubt I stopped, looked both ways, and made my turn. The cop was off to the side of the road with his car parked 20 feet or so behind him, and he seemed to be standing close to the stop sign area out of the way, writing down license plates. I received an official notice saying I had to appear in court for failure to stop at a stop sign.
So what happens when a cop is wrong? I think if I simply go to court and it is my word against his, the court almost always takes the police version. Am I able to ask for a jury trial and represent myself?

Thank you.

Am I able to ask for a jury trial and represent myself?
Your case will be heard initially in District Court, which does not have jury trials. Your case will be heard by a judge.

If you are found guilty and decide to appeal your case to Superior Court, then you will have a jury trial.

You are always welcome--though not often wise--to represent yourself in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">