• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Todays court session went bad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cryix47

:( :confused: :( :confused: :( :confused: :( What is the name of your state? MD

Hi..

Back in January I was given a ticket for going 98 in a 65. The ticket was 275.00 and came with 5 points. I never paid the ticket and waited for the court date to come in the mail. A letter came in the mail giving me a date of the 14th which is today. I went to court today and when i was called up I explained to the Judge that I was working in Hangerstown because I was called there because of a short staff and normally work in my home town. I told him that I was coming home and it was late (1:45)am and had a bad day at the location that i was at and was not paying attention. I showed him a certified driving record that had no moving violations at all. But yet he says he cant do anything about lowering the standard 5 points on this ticket. All he could do is lower the fee from 275.00 to 100.00 and 23.00 court fee. I am really ticked off because most of the people in that court room got PBJ if they didnt have any moving violations or 1 or 2 points if they did have something. Now my question is... How do I go about appealing this? Any information would be greatly appreciated :(

S

seniorjudge

cryix47 said:
:( :confused: :( :confused: :( :confused: :( What is the name of your state? MD

Hi..

Back in January I was given a ticket for going 98 in a 65. The ticket was 275.00 and came with 5 points. I never paid the ticket and waited for the court date to come in the mail. A letter came in the mail giving me a date of the 14th which is today. I went to court today and when i was called up I explained to the Judge that I was working in Hangerstown because I was called there because of a short staff and normally work in my home town. I told him that I was coming home and it was late (1:45)am and had a bad day at the location that i was at and was not paying attention. I showed him a certified driving record that had no moving violations at all. But yet he says he cant do anything about lowering the standard 5 points on this ticket. All he could do is lower the fee from 275.00 to 100.00 and 23.00 court fee. I am really ticked off because most of the people in that court room got PBJ if they didnt have any moving violations or 1 or 2 points if they did have something. Now my question is... How do I go about appealing this? Any information would be greatly appreciated :(

You can't appeal it if you already pled guilty.

The case is over now.

rmet4nzkx

You think the judge isn't going to know about your Virgina speeding violations from June of last year, so you don't have a clear record, but rather a history of excessive speed and driving under the infulence of a Rx Wellbutrin which you claim made you dizzy. You apparently haven't learned a lesson. https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=182721
You are lucky the judge lowered the fine, do you have a bicycle and is it close enough that you can bicycle back and forth to work when you lose your license?

S

seniorjudge

rmet4nzkx said:
You think the judge isn't going to know about your Virgina speeding violations from June of last year, so you don't have a clear record, but rather a history of excessive speed and driving under the infulence of a Rx Wellbutrin which you claim made you dizzy. You apparently haven't learned a lesson. https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=182721
You are lucky the judge lowered the fine, do you have a bicycle and is it close enough that you can bicycle back and forth to work when you lose your license?
OP forgot to mention:

What do you all think will likely happen when I go to court? Is it very likely that the ticket will become reduced to speeding? I am also taking a medication called Wellbutrine which is an anti-depressant which causes dizziness. Should I take into consideration that the medicine played a big role in the Citation? Like I said this my one and only moving violation.

fedcop110

A prepayable reckless driving charge? :confused:

Of course the judge could not do anything about the DMV administrative point system. What would you have him do?

Was this a speeding or reckless charge? You plead guilty and now you want to appeal? :confused:

As rmet4nzkx stated, you are lucky that you didn't loose your license. Slow down

cryix47

Would driving school me a way to get rid of the 5 points on my record? I dont understand how the judge could have known about VA.. I pulled a full record from MVA and there was nothing on it. Back when I had the court date for VA I sent a written plea and got a fee for 167.00 which I never paid. They threatened to garnish my paycheck or take over my bank account.. To this day nothing has happened LOL ;)

rmet4nzkx

It just keeps getting better and better :D
Better get that bicycle tuned up and you in shape to bicycle to work.
Your legs are going to kill you if you have to peddle to Harrisberg again ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">