• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Court ignores my Request for Trial De Novo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tommyboy25

I was cited for a moving violation in Los Angeles County, California and contested it with a Trial by Written Declaration (TBD). I would have appeared personally but I live in No. California, so TBD seemed the way to go. I was found guilty on December 26, 2006, and the Court Clerk sent me the Notice of TBD Decision on January 4, 2007. I then sent a Request for Trial De Novo to the Court by certified mail; the signed return receipt shows the Court received my new trial request on January 22 - timely within 20 days of the Clerk's January 4 certification date, as required. My spouse was with me when I mailed the Request, so she is a witness as to the content of that piece of certified mail.

Today I received a form letter from the Court stating that my case is closed and no further action is required - they have ignored my Request for Trial De Novo which CVC 40902(d) says I must be granted upon request!! On the phone the Clerk's office rudely claims they have no record of my Request, they won't give me a court date to bring this issue to the Judge, and I can't appeal because it is now more than 30 days past entry of the TBD guilty judgment. So all I have is a photocopy of the Request, the Return Receipt signed by the Court proving that "something" from me was delivered to the Court on 1/22/07, and my spouse as witness.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get my case reopened?

W

WindyAruba

I'm not sure if it is an incompetance issue or actual miscondcut.... Having a certified letter of the transmittal is usually the required backup in the event of a mis-filing. Would they acknowledge receiving anything on the 22nd?

I have no idea of how you would get your trial now. have to look at the 40902 section closer - it may take filing for a court order.

Jim_bo

I think you should resend the request for a Trial De Novo via certified mail w/ return reciept and include the evidence that you have already requested one within the alloted time. Also, I would make the statement that you believe the court's denial of your request will constitute grounds for appeal. This is not a threat, rather a statement that you should be willing to follow through with.

Jimbo

tommyboy25

Thanks. It does seem like misconduct to me, particularly since the Clerk waited for 30 days to run past the December 26 judgment of guilty on my TBD before contacting me. Now I am over the time limit for appeal. Of course, they also did not update the case status on their website. I like the suggestion to resend the Request for Trial by certified mail with full documentation and a statement that I will appeal if denied. At least the Clerk won't be able to just hang up on me that way. Do you think I would get any mileage out of also sending it to the City Attorney and/or the Chief Judge for the County?

I still can't believe it. They think nothing of violating a person's right to due process under the law just so they can keep the bail. The traffic violation I allegedly committed pales in comparison to their violation of my rights.

Jim_bo

This kind of stuff happens all the time. However, most of the time people just accept it and move on. Rarely do people hold the "system" accountable. I do. And I hope you do as well. You need to make them understand that just dismissing you is NOT the quickest way for them to get rid of you.

Jimbo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">