• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Light Camera Ticket in Redding, CA.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whitman_william

I live in Redding, CA in Shasta County and was caught by a traffic camera making a right turn at a red light without completely stopping. I received a letter asking that I set up a court date, I have yet to do so. A friend told me that I don't actually have to pay for these traffic camera tickets. Is this true? What should I do?

CdwJava

Who sent this "letter?"

If you received a citation or a summons, you must address it. You cannot ignore it and hope it goes away. If you lose your case, you'll have to pay the fines and fees. If you win, well, your friend is right and you won't have to pay it.

Your friend may have been referring to what are sometimes called "snitch" letters that are sent by police agencies asking registered owners to tell them who was operating the car. THOSE you can ignore without criminal penalty. But, an order from the court, a citation, or a summons from the court or the DA, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">