• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic school dismissals for 2 tickets in 2 different states?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luke2000

My question involves traffic tickets from the states of: California & Arizona

I'm a resident of CA. I recently received 2 traffic tickets. I haven't done traffic school before.

1) One ticket in CA which is eligible for traffic school - 22349(a) exceeding 65 mph max
2) One ticket in AZ which is eligible for traffic school - 28701A 50+ in a 35 zone

Can I do traffic school two times for both tickets since they are from different states? (Traffic school in CA and traffic school in AZ so both are dismissed?). Is it better to do one first and then the other due to checking systems? What is the best course of action?

Thanks in advance!

davew128

I can't speak with any certainty for AZ, but I would think no reason you couldn't since neither one would generally know about the other.

FlyingRon

I can't speak with any certainty for AZ, but I would think no reason you couldn't since neither one would generally know about the other.
I would agree as well. Note that the programs are different in the two state.

In California, you don't get a dismissal, rather the conviction isn't entered. You still pay the fine. The traffic school just blocks the point from the DMV.

In Arizona, you take the traffic school first and then your case is dismissed at trial. You dodge a lot of costs (and the traffic school is cheaper there as well).

luke2000

I would agree as well. Note that the programs are different in the two state.

In California, you don't get a dismissal, rather the conviction isn't entered. You still pay the fine. The traffic school just blocks the point from the DMV.

In Arizona, you take the traffic school first and then your case is dismissed at trial. You dodge a lot of costs (and the traffic school is cheaper there as well).
So I spoke to the AZ court and they said: "Good afternoon Luke. I can only speak for the AZ rules, but as long as you meet the eligibility requirements, you can attend a Defensive Driving course for your AZ citation. Our rules only apply to citations issued by AZ Law Enforcement."

Then I spoke to the CA DMV and the woman there told me that CA would find out about the AZ dismissal through the "national registry" and that it wouldn't get counted as dismissed.

Do you think she's correct or is there a chance that CA won't cross check the dismissal and I'll have both tickets dismissed (after doing traffic school for both of them). ?

FlyingRon

The "National Registry" if it means the NDR, it doesn't list minor traffic tickets. They perhaps will get it via the NRVC, but even then I have my doubts.
I think the dismissed Arizona conviction wouldn't hit thost registries.

I still would give it a try. The worst that is going to happen is you'll get a point on your license.
I think you'll still come out ahead.

luke2000

The "National Registry" if it means the NDR, it doesn't list minor traffic tickets. They perhaps will get it via the NRVC, but even then I have my doubts.
I think the dismissed Arizona conviction wouldn't hit thost registries.

I still would give it a try. The worst that is going to happen is you'll get a point on your license.
I think you'll still come out ahead.
Ok, that is reassuring. The other option I have entertained is hiring a lawyer service to go to court for me. I'm thinking I have two things going for me:

1) If the police woman thinks I'm going to do traffic school, is there a higher likelihood that she won't show up to court? (She wrote the ticket and told me I should dismiss it with online traffic school).

2) The police woman clocked me while moving in the opposite direction. I know the radar gun is still accurate this way, but is there a higher chance of inaccuracy or of her making a mistake in some way?

Have you had good experiences or heard good things about lawyer service companies that go to court to fight the ticket for you? Here are a couple I found online for AZ

1) aztrafficlawyer dot com
2) crcriminallaw dot com

Bottom line, I'm weighing which option has the higher likelihood of the ticket getting dismissed:
1) Online traffic school
2) Hire a lawyer service to fight the ticket for me

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
2) The police woman clocked me while moving in the opposite direction. I know the radar gun is still accurate this way, but is there a higher chance of inaccuracy or of her making a mistake in some way?
It doesn't matter what direction the police OFFICER was traveling in relation to you. There is no higher chance of any mistake.

You have traffic school options for both. Why waste money on attorneys unless you intend to go to trial?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">