• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic School Twice within 18 months? CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BillyShears

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

20/F/San Jose

Unfortunately, I have just received my second 22349a citation this year. I know, I should slow down. :( I took traffic school to clear the first one (and got a fine reduction with a Guilty with an Excuse leniency plea) but noticed that on the courtesy notice for the most recent one, it says that I am eligible to attend traffic school. Is this a clerical mistake that I may use to my advantage or will they renege if I select said option?

Also, my reason for speeding the second time is that my contact lens ripped inside my eye as I was driving, and in the heat of the moment, I was focused more on staying in my lane than my speed. I told the officer this. He said "Ow." Then he wrote me my ticket for 83 mph in a 65. Is there any chance of me making it out of this one without becoming extremely poor?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

20/F/San Jose

Unfortunately, I have just received my second 22349a citation this year. I know, I should slow down. :( I took traffic school to clear the first one (and got a fine reduction with a Guilty with an Excuse leniency plea) but noticed that on the courtesy notice for the most recent one, it says that I am eligible to attend traffic school. Is this a clerical mistake that I may use to my advantage or will they renege if I select said option?

Also, my reason for speeding the second time is that my contact lens ripped inside my eye as I was driving, and in the heat of the moment, I was focused more on staying in my lane than my speed. I told the officer this. He said "Ow." Then he wrote me my ticket for 83 mph in a 65. Is there any chance of me making it out of this one without becoming extremely poor?
hmm..i got to say, as one who wears contact, that was a really lame excuse. :confused: at least for speeding.

ask for the traffic shool. if it's an error, then they'll catch it. if not, RUN for it!

I_Got_Banned

As far as the speeding question, I wouldn't use the "I was focused more on staying in my lane than my speed" because that might suggest that you were being less attentive than you should have been to all aspects of your driving. The obvious answer to your dilema at the time would be to stop, remove your contact and then continue driving... Just my 2 cents.

As far as traffic school, two things could have happened. One, it is quite possible that the courtesy notice mentions the traffic school option (obviously in error) but when you show up in court, that option will not be available... OR it is also possible that your first violation was not dismissed, whether that was because that certificate was not filed with the court in a timely manner, an entry error on by the court clerk... etc, I couldn't tell you... (You might want to go to the DMV to have them run an abstract (which will cost you $5.00) to see whether that citation was in fact dismissed).

Either way, you will not receive credit for 2 traffic school attendances in one 18 month period.... It simply does not happen... And even if the error is not caught at first, you might end up taking traffic school and having it not count due to them catching the error when you file your second certificate.

What you might want to consider is a level 2 traffic school (12 hours instead of 8; cannot be taken online, must be taken in a class room setting; it does remove the violation points associated however, the citation will still appear on your record as a zero point violation...). I would caution you against this option though, due to the fact that your insurance will still be able to see the violation on your record... So it might not work in preventing any policy premium increases.

Alex23

ask for the traffic shool. if it's an error, then they'll catch it. if not, RUN for it!
Either way, you will not receive credit for 2 traffic school attendances in one 18 month period.... It simply does not happen... And even if the error is not caught at first, you might end up taking traffic school and having it not count due to them catching the error when you file your second certificate.
The system might be more reliable now, but I know someone who did this twice in one month (different counties) in the 1990s. Just don't lie to the Judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">