• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida
Ok,,I watch "COPS" on TV and it seems that most of the time when they stop a car they always ask if the person or persons for their ID and have they been arrested before and then their social security number. Seems to me that all that is irrellevant to a traffic stop. Besides I would think the license would have the info when they run it.Thats what I thought the magnetic stripe was for on the license... Anyway How legal is it for the cops to request the SS# ? If you refuse to tell them what can they do? Thats my personal info as far as I'm concerned.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Florida
Ok,,I watch "COPS" on TV and it seems that most of the time when they stop a car they always ask if the person or persons for their ID and have they been arrested before and then their social security number. Seems to me that all that is irrellevant to a traffic stop. Besides I would think the license would have the info when they run it.Thats what I thought the magnetic stripe was for on the license... Anyway How legal is it for the cops to request the SS# ? If you refuse to tell them what can they do? Thats my personal info as far as I'm concerned.
First: Reality TV is not "real"

Second: I've NEVER heard that asked on Cops...not saying it doesn't happen...

CdwJava

Ok,,I watch "COPS" on TV and it seems that most of the time when they stop a car they always ask if the person or persons for their ID and have they been arrested before and then their social security number.
On a traffic stop, of course we are going to ask for ID. Many cops might also ask about prior arrests and even probation or parole status. As for social security numbers, unless we are asking in order to verify an arrest warrant or for booking purposes, that question is rarely asked - and certainly not common at traffic stops.

Remember, what you see on those shows are just a couple of minutes of a contact that might originally have been as long as 20 minutes (or more if something comes up).

Anyway How legal is it for the cops to request the SS# ? If you refuse to tell them what can they do? Thats my personal info as far as I'm concerned.
The police can ASK for anything they want ... you don't always have to provide it.

- Carl

The Occultist

OP, let me ask you this: how do you figure to get in trouble for not having a card on you that the government specifically advises you do not carry on you?

fairisfair

On a traffic stop, of course we are going to ask for ID. Many cops might also ask about prior arrests and even probation or parole status. As for social security numbers, unless we are asking in order to verify an arrest warrant or for booking purposes, that question is rarely asked - and certainly not common at traffic stops.

Remember, what you see on those shows are just a couple of minutes of a contact that might originally have been as long as 20 minutes (or more if something comes up).

The police can ASK for anything they want ... you don't always have to provide it.

- Carl
Hey Carl, do you guys sing that song too?? You know that "Bad Boys Bad Boys" thing, I mean that would be helpful, we would know you are coming. :p;):D:D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
W/E....and if youre smarter than a 5th grader you'll know what that means. Thanks for your GDF help,,,,NOT!!!!!
Glad we could "help" (since you didn't really ask for "help" to begin with).
Oh, and "netspeak" does NOT imply intelligence => a 5th grader.

CdwJava

Maybe I'll have to ask my 8th grader when I get home ... but, what is "W/E" and "GDF"?

To me they mean "weekend" and "gosh-darn-Friday" ... I guess it's all about frame of reference - not whether someone's smarter than a 5th grader.

- Carl

>Charlotte<

Lurker
W/E means "whatever." I'm pretty sure I know what "GDF" means, but it would probably get me banned. And I am smarter than a fifth grader, but on the show last week I missed "Madagascar."

I can think of several reasons why someone might be asked for their SSN, if asking at all is, in fact, allowed. One of those reasons, however, is a little wobbly: they may use it as a method to confirm an alien's legal status. I don't think the average street cop would be able to confirm the number (except maybe through NCIC?), but asking the question and getting a squirrelly answer might help to confirm whatever suspicions they have. Like I said, though, that reason is (I think) kinda lame because in my city the police have been specifically instructed not to look for or arrest illegal aliens. They can't handle the added workload.

I'm just thinking out loud.

CdwJava

I can think of several reasons why someone might be asked for their SSN, if asking at all is, in fact, allowed. One of those reasons, however, is a little wobbly: they may use it as a method to confirm an alien's legal status. I don't think the average street cop would be able to confirm the number (except maybe through NCIC?), but asking the question and getting a squirrelly answer might help to confirm whatever suspicions they have. Like I said, though, that reason is (I think) kinda lame because in my city the police have been specifically instructed not to look for or arrest illegal aliens. They can't handle the added workload.

I'm just thinking out loud.
SSNs are bad ID because there is no way to match them to an individual. However, if you have a warrant or such, one way is to ask for an SSN to help verify that you have the right person. It can also help verify the statements of someone without ID ... if they don't have ID, their name and date of birth comes up bupkis, you can ask about the SSN - if the SSN has a number (first three digits) that originates in the state where they were raised, then they might be telling the truth ... if not, then you might inquire further.

It's a tool, not a method of ID. And, until recently, some states had those numbers tied in with driver's licenses.

- Carl

>Charlotte<

Lurker
if the SSN has a number (first three digits) that originates in the state where they were raised, then they might be telling the truth ... if not, then you might inquire further.
That's more or less what I was driving at--more of a questioning and "gauge the reaction"-type tactic. My husband tells me it's quite common (when, for instance, somebody that gets pulled over knows he has warrants) for a person to give a false name and birth date (his brother's, etc.) When that ruse is suspected, asking for a SSN and getting a lot of stammering and stuttering would help to confirm that suspicion. Of course, I'm sure there are easier ways--I'm just pondering the reasons why a SSN might be requested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">