• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Subpoena and Suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MsShauna

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I received a speeding ticket in November 2009. When the court date came I was out of town at a funeral and told to bring the obituary when I returned. I took the obituary and was told they would send me a court date in the mail.

The year 2010 came and left no subpoena. I moved for a job but the previous address is heir property so I still receive the mail and no subpoena. On last Wednesday I was on my way home from church and was stopped for a routine traffic stop. The officer told me he had to arrest me for driving on suspended license. My license was suspended on 10/21/2011 for a citation given in November 2009. I was never notified by Dekalb County nor DDS.

I emailed the court because they do not take phone calls anymore and was told I needed to come to the court. I live 5 hours away, I am under dr care for an accident and my dr is not going to approve that long ride, and now I have no license. Is there a statue of limitation on traffic violations? Is there some other recourse?

MsShauna

I didn't expect it to go away. However, what else could I do if I was not given a court date? They would not allow me to pay a fine because I was told I had to go before the judge, although I was not guilty and the officer that issued the citation was put on suspension by internal affairs about the stop. I did not know my loved one was going to die and be buried on the same day I was supposed to go to court for a traffic violation.

I did everything they asked, but I cannot appear when I do not know when to appear. The court is claiming they sent me subpoena for July 2011. I had been waiting for 2 years to get a court date. In 2010 I called frequently and was again told I would get a court date in the mail.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I didn't expect it to go away. However, what else could I do if I was not given a court date?

Most reasonable people would reach out to the court if they have not been contacted within a reasonable amount of time. You should have been wondering what was going on and given them a call.

MsShauna

I had been reaching out to them and I was constantly told that I would receive a court date in the mail. I asked if they knew when this would be and I was told no. If you google DeKalb County Reorder's court you would see that they have been involved in numerous scandals.

There was a ticket kickback scam then the backlog of 500,000 citations in limbo. I was not trying to skip out on answering the citation. I had been calling and was constantly given the in the mail tidbit. People have been waiting for 6 years to get a court date and are just now having their license suspended because they never received the subpoena that the court said was sent regular mail. The link below will give you a better understanding on the situation.

New judge hopes to reform county recorders court

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well at least you're not alone.

I didn't read the article. Since it made the news is anyone doing anything about the situation?

MsShauna

I am not sure. I do not live in that county anymore. I heard an investigative reporter was bringing attention to the situation. I just need to get this taken care of but even if I driver the 4-5 hours there is no guarantee that I will get to speak with someone because the line is usually a mile long.

Most reasonable people would reach out to the court if they have not been contacted within a reasonable amount of time. You should have been wondering what was going on and given them a call.
I would think that right after coming back into town, 3 - 7 days after you "re-scheduled over the phone". You cannot rely on traffic clerks; they'll write something down & forget. Always do these things via mail/fax.

MsShauna

I did not re-schedule over the phone. I left in a hurry so I sent an email to the deputy clerk on my way out and he told me when I got back into town bring the obituary which I went to the court and provided not only the obituary but the hotel receipt as well as a notarized statement from the funeral director. I forwarded the email from the clerk I spoke with and was told he no longer works for the county.

Also, they do not take phone calls everything must be done via email or taking a chance going to the court and hoping you can get in that day. I have been emailing back and forth for weeks and they still will not tell me when I need to go before the judge. All they are saying is it requires I go before the judge.

You can hire a lawyer to go. If you do not want to spend the time & its worth it to you to let a lawyer spend his time on your dime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">