• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wannago2hi

What is the name of your state? Washington

My 16 year old got a ticket for passing in a no passing zone. He only has a driver's permit and I was in the car. I believe he was out of the no passing zone and the police officer was wrong and very rude. We are taking it to court and I want to be better prepared. I want this to be dismissed so my son can go and get his license.

D

dabear

The audacity of that rude officer to stop your son for a violation that he could not have committed. Your son needs his license and we can't have him being stopped by police for simple infractions that he could not possibly have committed. Let's teach him that even though he commits a violation his parents will be there to do anything to get him out of it.

Also, your post is basically a comment. Do you have a question?

B

blink401

In all fairness to the kid..

This parent was sitting in the car next to him. If the kid did in fact pass in a no passing zone, than it was likely with the approval of said parent.

I think in this case the parent likely made the judgment call, and is simply trying to defend his own judgment.

This is the best explanation I could find

You cannot pass:
  • Where there are NO PASSING signs posted, or where there is a solid yellow line on your side of the centerline. Double solid yellow lines mean that traffic coming from either direction cannot move across the centerline.
  • On a curve or hill where you cannot clearly see the road ahead of you for a distance of at least 700 feet.
  • When you are within 100 feet of any underpass, tunnel, or railroad crossing.
  • When you are within 100 feet of an intersection.
  • When you are about to meet a vehicle coming toward you from the opposite direction. When overtaking or passing another vehicle you must return to the right side of the road before coming within 100 feet of an oncoming vehicle.
Jim

W

wannago2hi

Serious Parent

For your information, I am not going to court to get him out of anything. We are going to court, because I was sitting there in the passenger side and he was out of the no passing zone and If he had passed in a no passing zone, I would have jerked the car over and made him get out and there would be no issue.

I haven't ever been to court and was asking for advice for my son so he could be better prepared.

Also, Washington and Oregon Laws are very strict for Licensing of Teenagers but they have nothing on my strictness. My sons are not getting there licenses until they have put in 500 hours of additional driving time once they have concluded the driver's training.

My parenting style is that I don't want my son to become a idiot driver or another statistic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">