• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kara5119

What is the name of your state? Michigan

A week ago I was driving to a friends house, I wasn't feeling well(I have a stomach condition that causes pain) so I asked my friend to drive. We were pulled over and all asked for licsences. It turned out that my friend only had a permit even though he was 18 (I had no idea he did not have an actual liscence at the time) The officers stated that they smelled marijuana on us so they got us all out and searched us and the car. We told them we had been at a party that it had been used at and they searched us and kept us outside of the car on a very cold night ( I had no jacket!) for about 20 minutes. I told the officer as soon as he pulled us over why I had asked my friend to drive and explained that I hadn't been feeling well. He basically ignored me the whole time and eventually wrote me a ticket for letting an unliscenced person drive. I feel it is extremely unfair that my ticket is for 150 dollars while speeding tickets are 80$! I am wondering if I can challenge this ticket because I had absolutely no intention of breaking a law. I am also wondering what I should expect at the hearing if I challenge it and I'm concerned that my parents will be aware that the cop (a state one) accused us of having marijuana. Please give me your oppinion on this case!

Happy Trails

kara5119 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

A week ago I was driving to a friends house, I wasn't feeling well(I have a stomach condition that causes pain) so I asked my friend to drive. We were pulled over and all asked for licsences. It turned out that my friend only had a permit even though he was 18 (I had no idea he did not have an actual liscence at the time) The officers stated that they smelled marijuana on us so they got us all out and searched us and the car. We told them we had been at a party that it had been used at and they searched us and kept us outside of the car on a very cold night ( I had no jacket!) for about 20 minutes. I told the officer as soon as he pulled us over why I had asked my friend to drive and explained that I hadn't been feeling well. He basically ignored me the whole time and eventually wrote me a ticket for letting an unliscenced person drive. I feel it is extremely unfair that my ticket is for 150 dollars while speeding tickets are 80$! I am wondering if I can challenge this ticket because I had absolutely no intention of breaking a law. I am also wondering what I should expect at the hearing if I challenge it and I'm concerned that my parents will be aware that the cop (a state one) accused us of having marijuana. Please give me your oppinion on this case!
You are the driver of that vehicle and you have a duty to know who is getting behind the wheel of the car and if they are a legal driver.

The ticket is valid.
Stay away from marijuana.
Ask your friend to help share the cost of the ticket.

racer72

kara5119 said:
I am wondering if I can challenge this ticket because I had absolutely no intention of breaking a law.
If that excuse worked every ticket written would be dismissed.

sukharev

Well, you could argue that detention was too long (search the web for similar cases). Question is, why did he pull you over to start with?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">