• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Helperghost

Arizona

I currently have a clean record, recently i received a speeding ticket in a unmarked section of the freeway in Arizona. I had no job at the time and no way to pay for the ticket. However now i have a job and am getting pain fairly well. I still need to pay the ticket however i have passed the payment date. what sort of consequences will this entitle to me? I am prepared to pay off the ticket which is only 2 weeks past and can pay it on Friday but will that be the end of it or will an additional fine be placed for the tickets lateness in payment?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I_Got_Banned

I currently have a clean record, recently i received a speeding ticket in a unmarked section of the freeway in Arizona.
What section were you cited with and what do you mean by "a unmarked section of the freeway"?
what sort of consequences will this entitle to me?
That could mean that the court may have either issued a warrant for your arrest OR placed a hold on your license (as in suspended it) OR both. It could also mean that additional fines were added due to your failing to appear on time. All that depends on the court and whether they offer some sort of grace period or not. You should contact the court itself for specific answers.

The Occultist

If you missed your payment date, then you have an arrest warrant out for you, and now your tags have been "expired" by the MVD.

To fix this, go into the court that your citation as assigned you to, go to the clerk, and explain the situation. Note that it is possible you can be arrested at this point (this is what we call turning yourself in), but odds are that this will not happen (never seen it happen, but I've heard of it happening), and the clerk will simply give you your total amount due (the original fine plus late fees). Upon payment, politely request some sort of receipt acknowledging that you are paid in full for the mess you made.

Next, you need to go to the MVD. Sometimes the MVD does the "expiration" thing, and sometimes they don't. If they have done it, sometimes they automatically fix things once issues at the court are settled, and sometimes they don't. What you need to do is go in and make sure everything is alright. Even though things were taken care of at court, it would still be possible for you to be pulled over/cited over the expired tags.

Once you've taken care of that, there is still one last step. Call your insurance company and make sure everything is ok there. I'm not saying to volunteer any details or anything, but explain that you wish to double-check and make sure that your coverage hasn't lapsed at all. Sometimes, if the MVD does anything funny with your license/tags/etc. then your insurance company is alerted and they halt your coverage, so you just need to make sure that everything is good.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">