• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Ticket Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meretrix

What is the name of your state? Colorado (Jefferson County)

Ok, I'm a 16 year old male, meaning that I start with 6 points on my licence. I have already had 2 points removed, leaving me with 4 untill I can no longer drive. I recently received a nastly little 8 pointer under somewhat strange circumstances. I need some advice as to whether I should plead guilty and try to reduce my offence to less than 4 points, or plead not guilty. As I am 16, I do not really have any experience in dealing with this sort of thing, so could someone please tell me if I have any kind of case here.

I was driving from school on my way to eat lunch at a restaurant. I drove down C-470 and exited at my destination. I went inside, got a burrito, came back to my car to eat, and I was half-way done with my lunch when out of the blue a cop car appears (about 30 minutes after my "offense"). Apparently on C-470 there was an unmarked police vehicle driving in traffic. He saw me speeding and "changing lanes unsafely". For some reason, this officer did not stop me, but decided to call someone else with a description of me. The cop that found me eating lunch gave me a ticket for 84 in a 65 and unsafe lane change (8 points). He says he heard that I did not use a signal. I know 100% for certain that I did signal. I make a point to always signal because it makes me angry when people in front of me force me to brake hard because they don't signal. Somehow the officer in the unmarked car was able to collect the following information: detailed (very detailed) description of my car, description of me as a 16 year old with the color of my t-shirt, licence plate number, and very surprisingly, he read the colorado school of mines parking sticker on my car. This sticker has the letters "CSM" printed in extremely small font (about 7mm block text). This is extremely difficult to read when stationary, 15 ft away. How the cop got it as I "blazed by at 84 mph" I have no idea. He also got my speed (not sure how). This is pretty much all the information I could get out of the cop who gave me a ticket.

So, should I plead guilty and try to reduce points, or do I have enough of a case to go with a not guilty plea. I may be wrong, but I am not sure that they can do what they did. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">