• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic ticket for avoiding a light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lawpat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was stopped at a light that was red and I was on the right side to make a turn. There was a bus and another car in front of me. I needed to make a right but the bus wasn’t moving so I kept waiting for the bus to move. The light turned red, green, red and it wasn’t moving. The car of me changed to the other lane and left and that’s when I noticed that the bus had those hazard lights on and it was actually empty. I think it was getting fixed or something. I didn’t want to change to the left lane and make a right from there because I was afraid the bus would suddenly start up so I cut through the gas station. I went through it and made a right and that’s when the cop cited me. I also wasn't wearing my glasses at the time so I got another ticket for that. I'm supposed to go to court and meet the prosecutor but I'm not sure on what to expect or what to say.

I wasn't intentionally trying to avoid the light but. I don't know if that'd be a reasonable excuse to avoid it, on top of the other citation I received.

Advice would be appreciated.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
To make the turn you're supposed to stay on the roadway - not drive off the road.

The proper course of action would have been to pass the bus on the left and cautiously make your turn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">