• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic ticket in CA : please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bubun222

I got my first ever ticket in Menlo park, CA (I have been driving in US for last 4 years) by taking a left turn where it was prohibited (it was night, and I just missed the sign). They charged me 2 points (1. Uncontrolled intersection yield and 2. Failure to obey traffic signs) and given me a date on April 3, 2012 to appear on court.
What do you guys suggest me to do now? Should I plead guilty or challenge? Fines are really high here in CA, and I am especially worried about my driving history reflecting the incident.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

bubun222

More details

The VC codes are: 21800 b CVC and 21461 (A) CVC

" Location of violation: El Camino Real & Santa Cruz Ave

Conditions : Cloudy, dark, dry road, med traffic "

I was going on El Camino real towards west and took a left turn on Santa Cruz Ave.

It was drizzling and was quite dark (07-01 p.m.). Also another vehicle was coming from the other side with halogen light. However, I didn't understand the first violation because I did stop and yield and then took a left turn.

sandyclaus

I got my first ever ticket in Menlo park, CA (I have been driving in US for last 4 years) by taking a left turn where it was prohibited (it was night, and I just missed the sign). They charged me 2 points (1. Uncontrolled intersection yield and 2. Failure to obey traffic signs) and given me a date on April 3, 2012 to appear on court.
What do you guys suggest me to do now? Should I plead guilty or challenge? Fines are really high here in CA, and I am especially worried about my driving history reflecting the incident.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
How exactly do you plan to challenge the ticket? It was dark, and you admittedly missed the sign. Unless it was completely obscured, you should have been paying closer attention and you would have seen the sign and complied with it.

Even if you go to court and try to challenge the ticket, all you have is a "poor me, I can't afford the ticket and would rather not have the points on my license" defense. That's not going to do you any good. Since you committed the violation, then you will still get the fine and the points. Better to just pay it and buck it up for the next 3 years, while paying closer attention to your driving habits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">