• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Ticket in Collection Agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rsposato

I have received a notice that I have a $604 obligation for a ticket the was issued to me
for expired registration on 8/5/92.

I received this notice yesterday, 3/31/2000.

The collection agency said I did not provide proof of correction, I did pay the traffic ticket, and went to the office of the CHP but for some reason that did not appear to reach the LA Municipal Court.

I have two questions.

1. Is there a statute of limitations for traffic tickets, would it apply to this?

2. What are my options?

Ron Sposato
[email protected]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rsposato:
I have received a notice that I have a $604 obligation for a ticket the was issued to me
for expired registration on 8/5/92.

I received this notice yesterday, 3/31/2000.

The collection agency said I did not provide proof of correction, I did pay the traffic ticket, and went to the office of the CHP but for some reason that did not appear to reach the LA Municipal Court.

I have two questions.

1. Is there a statute of limitations for traffic tickets, would it apply to this?

2. What are my options?

Ron Sposato
[email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Tell the collection agency to "go pound sand." Your statute of limitations, in California, has long since passed:

Penal Code 801.6. "Notwithstanding any other limitation of time described in this chapter, prosecution for any offense proscribed by Section 368, except for a violation of any provision of law proscribing theft or embezzlement, may be filed at any time within five years from the date of occurrence of such offense."

(Section 368 has to do with Elder Care Abuse)

804. "For the purpose of this chapter, prosecution for an offense is commenced when any of the following occurs: (a) An indictment or information is filed. (b) A complaint is filed charging a misdemeanor or infraction. (c) A case is certified to the superior court. (d) An arrest warrant or bench warrant is issued, provided the warrant names or describes the defendant with the same degree of particularity required for an indictment, information, or complaint."

805. "For the purpose of determining the applicable limitation of time pursuant to this chapter: (a) An offense is deemed punishable by the maximum punishment prescribed by statute for the offense, regardless of the punishment actually sought or imposed. Any enhancement of punishment prescribed by statute shall be disregarded in determining the maximum punishment prescribed by statute for an offense. (b) The limitation of time applicable to an offense that is necessarily included within a greater offense is the limitation of time applicable to the lesser included offense, regardless of the limitation of time applicable to the greater offense."

Since the D.A. can no longer file against you, neither can the collection agency. They're just trying to see if they can collect a debt, that's all. They will try to intimidate you to get the money, but now you know better. Let's now assume, for some reason, they are using the logic that the ticket is also a "contract." Normally, a written and signed contract has limitations period of only 4 years (unless there a some extenuating circumstances, not cogent to your issue). That's even less time than the Penal Code.

So, turn the tables on them. Tell them if they keep harrassing you, or do anything negative to your credit, you'll go after them.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 02, 2000).]

P

poor chick

I am in the same boat. 12/95 and 2/96 I recieved tickets for past due registration and driving on expired licence 12/95 (officer added a few, seat belt, cracked window etc).

I have never taken care of these because of finances and then fear I would be arrested.

Is the statute of limitation on the ticket itself?

If the D.A. can't prosecute and the collection agency can't collect, can the DMV in CA not allow you to get a new licence?

I went to the DMV was told to clear ticket with collection agency, can't afford to. How can I have the tickets removed from the DMV file?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">