• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Ticket Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DEMLBH

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I received a ticket for "unlawful lane usage" and was explained that I received this because I was supposedly swerving however the officer originally stated that I was hugging the white line of the shoulder upon pulling me over. This was due to the fact that the curve I was on is narrow and cars were approaching in the oncoming lane (included in the oncoming traffic was the officer). I was not swerving and have an eye witness to attest to this. I was questioned as to whether I had been drinking, which I had not had a single drink in months nor do I drive if I've even consumed one swallow of alcohol. The officer did not even attempt a breathalizer test however, the entire time both the officer that had pulled me over as well as a second that was on the scene were constantly questioning as to if either of us (myself and my passenger) were drunk or high or if we had any weapons. We offered to have the vehicle or persons searched but both officers refused to carry out any searches or tests of any sort. The officer would not allow me to explain anything, just kept harassing us. I would like to know if I have any case at all or what my legal rights are. I am worried as I previously did get a ticket that I admit I was in the wrong, however, it has been taken care of and only is seen as a parking ticket now from my understanding (I took driving school to prevent the ticket appearing due to insurance reasons and to avoid points).

I_Got_Banned

Your rights include:
- entering a plea of "not guilty";
- a speedy trial, unless you waive that right;
- requesting discovery, i.e. the names of witnesses who will testify against you, and any materials that will be used against you in court;
- the right to question the officer as to why he stopped you, and how he determined that you were swerving, hugging the while line or otherwise;
- to present witnesses who will testify on your behalf (although you passenger might be a bit biased towards you);
- You also have the right to tell your side of the story before the judge (if you choose to testify)...

But you probably knew all that without me telling you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">