• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Ticket Issued to Wrong Person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michig@n

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.

Hello,

I was issued a ticket for Impeding Traffic when I was really speeding. The officer gave it to me for that due to my clean record. He said that it would not count for points against my license, but I would have to pay a fine. However, I just noticed that the officer wrote my husband's information on the ticket instead of my name, license and physical description -and my husband was not even in the car with me when this happened.
What should I do? Go to the court? Please advice. First ticket, I don't know what to do. :(
Thank you!

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.

Hello,

I was issued a ticket for Impeding Traffic when I was really speeding. The officer gave it to me for that due to my clean record. He said that it would not count for points against my license, but I would have to pay a fine. However, I just noticed that the officer wrote my husband's information on the ticket instead of my name, license and physical description -and my husband was not even in the car with me when this happened.
What should I do? Go to the court? Please advice. First ticket, I don't know what to do. :(
Thank you!
Go to court. Tell Judge you were speeding. Get cited for that and pay fine and deal with the points. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

LdiJ

Go to court. Tell Judge you were speeding. Get cited for that and pay fine and deal with the points. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
She is going to have to be more detailed than that or its going to cause problems for her husband. HE is the one who is summoned to court and if she shows instead of him, the judge may believe that she is trying to take the blame for him. They should probably both show for court and hope that the cop also shows up too, so that the cop can verify that it was her rather than him.

Otherwise, it could be safer to just pay the fine, since there are no points involved.

Just Blue

She is going to have to be more detailed than that or its going to cause problems for her husband. HE is the one who is summoned to court and if she shows instead of him, the judge may believe that she is trying to take the blame for him. They should probably both show for court and hope that the cop also shows up too, so that the cop can verify that it was her rather than him.

Otherwise, it could be safer to just pay the fine, since there are no points involved.
Yeah. I know. :rolleyes:

LdiJ

And the cop got your husbands information from where?
Likely from the registration. The same thing happened to me once. My daughter got stopped and the cop wrote the ticket in my name because he took the info off my registration rather than off her license. She was a minor and I decided to fight the tickets because the cop added an extra ticket for minor in possession of tobacco because one of the people who were in the car with her had cigarettes.

We didn't catch what happened until after we challenged the ticket and the court date info came back in my name (cops writing was awful). So I went to court and didn't even see a judge. The DA dismissed both tickets because I obviously was NOT a minor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">