• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Ticket - MA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustAnotherJoe

So I got a Traffic Ticket in Massachusetts back in Novemeber, officer said I was going 92 in 65.

Since I have NY driver license, this will not add any points to my license (but I heard insurance companies still sniff around for dirt on you in other states). But the ticket is $270 and I requested to appeal it. I got a letter back scheduling a hearing for April 1. The letter also had a stamp on it saying "This date cannot be postponed", and another little insert saying that there is a $20 fee for all court hearings. This raised 3 red flags in my head:

1.) Shouldn't the defendant always be allowed to postpone the date if there is need for it? I live in NY, and only visit my parents in MA during the summer.
2.) The original ticket date to the hearing date is 128 days, shouldn't there be some sort of "speedy trial?" I do know that in MA all traffic violations are civil and not criminal, does that take way the right to "speedy trial"?
3.) I thought the court processing fees were miniscule or often not applicable, what's up with that insert?

Now given my situation, I wonder if it's even worth the effort to continue with the appeal or should I just pay the fine and forget about it? If it is worth it, what should I include in the discovery request letter, and should I mail it asap or as late as possible? Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1) Nope
2) Nope - no "speedy trial"
3) $20 IS a very small fee.

As for the rest of your questions - that's something YOU need to decide, based on your budget (money and time)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">