• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Ticket - Nassau County, NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ExNewYorker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I was given a ticket in Nassau county for turning on a red light where it was not allowed. I went through a yellow light and a couple of passengers with me confirmed this. I have a California license and was given a ticket, which is my first in 25 years of driving! I also received a ticket for failing to have my insurance card, for which I obtained the appropriate letter from the insurance company. I went to the Hempstead office as directed on the information provided with the ticket. They told me to come back in a month when the ticket would be in the system. I returned a few days ago to a new experience where I was told to line up to enter a large room and I would be called. One of the people behind a podimum called me and started saying they would change the fine to 0 points and $185 and to show them the letter also from the insurance company. I showed them them letter and I said that is a lot of money for something I did not do. The person said in that case you can plea. I asked what that meant he said you can't plea, an innocent person can't plea and you have to go to trail. I told him I did not understand what he meant as I did not the procedure and had never been in this situation. He was acting somewhat belligerent and condescending in his style of speaking. I asked where do I get more information on what he is taking about - a website or pamphlet etc, to which he said go get a lawyer since your innocent. I said look I am from California and I am trying to get information to resolve this. He simply dissmissed my question and said you will get a notice for a trail date in the mail in the next few months and that was the end of the conversation. What should I do now? Can anyone help me understand the process in New York (Nassau County).

You Are Guilty

Welcome to NY! Believe it or not, the Hempstead court is actually easier to deal with than the TVB (where you go for NYC or Suffolk County tickets).

Anyway, start reading this, and see if it doesn't answer some of your questions:
http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/tpva/traffic_violation/guilty_traffic_viol.html
(Also note the "out of state drivers" link).

ExNewYorker

Thanks 'You Are Guilty' for your reply. It seems talking with other people on this the best option is just pay a reduced fine rather then go through the system with a trial, given that I am pursumed guilty already and the process is set up to take away any rights anyway. Can I go back to the Hempsted Office now and deal with another administrative person and just "pay" the fine and not deal with trail dates etc? I don't want to deal with coming back from California to do this again and again.

You Are Guilty

It appears that should not be a problem. In fact, it looks like you may be able to just file some paperwork and not even have to go back down in person if that's what you want:
An out-of-state resident may handle a mandatory appearance by requesting an out-of-state waiver whereby a defendant agrees to plead guilty to the original violation and waives the right to an attorney, a hearing and agrees to accept the fine recommended by the Judicial Hearing Officer. Should this procedure not prove satisfactory, an appearance must be made by an out-of-state defendant or by his/her authorized representative.
http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/tpva/traffic_violation/non_resident.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">