• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Violation Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michellehr

What is the name of your state? texas

I was ticketed by an officer. I was in a left hand turn lane and moved into the right lane directly beside me to avoid debris in the lane that would have damaged my vehicle when turning. I was still ticketed even though there was no where else i could mov eto avaoid this debris. I have a jury trial set, but cannot afford the attorney. What is the best way to defend this ticket?

Hey There

AN ANSWER to your question

4-3-08
michellehr

What is the vehicle code you were cited for?
What is the exact wording of the code?

Have you checked to see if the court will appoint an attorney if you can't afford one?
Some lawyers will consult once for no fee or a modest fee ($50.00)
A local library should have a book published by NOLO on how to fight traffic tickets.
The local court should have a phamphlet on general rules of their court.
The law of necessity which is recognized in all states
applies as a defense when it is necessary for the driver to avoid a hazard greater than the violation of a vehicle code.
Were any other cars affected by your movement into the right lane?
Driving onto the shoulder, honking horns, laying rubber?
Going to Google and typing in Texas Court Procedures for traffic tickets, scrolling down the page to
FindLaw: State Resources: Texas: Courts
a list of Muni Courts will be provided
Beaumont Municipal Court for example has a detailed description of what to exspect in traffic court.
Guidelines on court procedure, the rights of a cited driver, how to prepare a proper defence that applies to all traffic tickets (not just speeding tickets)including the option of traffic school
can be found on the website
Speeding Ticket--Fighting or Plea Bargaining

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">