• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Violations - Statute of Limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robinlphelan

What is the name of your state? Texas
Is there a statute of limitations for traffic violations or for that matter any violations other than criminal? How about DUI and driving with an open container to go with that? I was also wondering if the violations were written before he turned 17 if that would make a difference in limitation process?

Last edited:

Curt581

Standard Answer:

The Statute of Limitations defines the amount of time the State (or municipality) has to file a charge against someone. Once the charge is filed with the Court, the Limitation Clock stops. Any subsequent trial or other disposition comes after the filing.

The S.o.L. is not a game of Hide and Seek, where if you wait or hide out long enough, charges simply go away or are automatically dropped.

The S.o.L. also doesn't provide for the dropping of charges simply because the defendant was a minor at the time of the offense, and is now an adult. If the case is still pending, he will still have to answer for them.

You post does not provide enough (any) information to advise you about your particular circumstances... but don't look to the S.o.L. to protect him.

robinlphelan

Statute of Limitations

Thank you very much for your feedback. I did not think there was an S.o.L. Just wishful thinking. Very strange thing is he has tried to turn himself in for all of these violations that he has and they won't let him sit the fines out. He has over 3K in viloations. Most are petty. The very serious one is a DUI and the amazing thing is when he was ticketed for the DUI he was not arrested!!!!! I have never heard of such a thing. I thought that was an automatic "GO TO JAIL"??????? Instead they let his girlfriend take over the wheel of the vehicle and gave him his tickets. Was the trooper just being lazy?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">