• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer of violations from one state to another?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I currently live in Georgia. I will be moving to Alabama in the next month or so.

I have two tickets on my MVR in Georgia including one involving an accident. These are less than three years old, so they increase my insurance premiums.

Do states share information when someone applies for a license? I'm just wondering if my Georgia MVR will attach to my Alabama license when I get one?

If my Alabama MVR is clean, would I be violating any law by NOT mentioning my Georgia violations to an insurance company?

Thanks.

racer72

Both states are members of the Non Resident Violators Compact. Yes, the ticket info will follow you. Your insurance company will know too.

FlyingRon

If your existing license is not under any form of restriction and you go to another state, you usually do start over on points scoring. Of course, any additional violations will catch up with you. Every state has their own rule for scoring out of state violations (some just hit you up with 2 points for an out-of-state violation, some try to map the charge into whatever points yo u would have been assessed if in state).

Your existing insurance company won't forget about the old violations just because you move. If you get new insurance, they will see the recent change in drivers license and dig a little deeper to see what your previous license had on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">