• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

translation of va reckless to pa?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newuser4321

What is the name of your state? - pa

i received a summons in virginia for reckless driving @ 94 in a 65. If convicted, how will this translate to my license in PA? In PA, a reckless is discretionary; they can suspend or even revoke. A speeding ticket at that speed is just 5 points. The wording of the VA statute is:

§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit - A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit where the applicable speed limit is thirty miles per hour or less, (ii) at a speed of sixty miles per hour or more where the applicable maximum speed limit is thirty-five miles per hour, (iii) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limits where the applicable maximum speed limit is forty miles per hour or more, or (iv) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit).

sukharev

Likely no transfer unless the license is suspended, in which case suspension will transfer. Good luck in negotiating the plea (if not in Fairfax)

sukharev

That would be my interpretation, too. So, talk to the DA before trial, get as much reduction as possible and plead guilty to the rest.

newuser4321

in va, they give reckless for speed only. there's no other charges against me, just speeding.

i talked to a person with the pa driver's license place who talked to her supervisor and said the same thing we thought. does anyone else have an interpretation/experience with how reckless driving charges are interpreted by pa? not to be distrusting, just that this would be REALLY good (obviously) and want confirmation before getting too too happy.

sukharev

lwpat said:
Only the Penn DOT can fully answer your question. I would get it in writing to be safe.
And then what? He still has to go and defend himself, to avoid suspension. Might as well just do that, and have to let go any consequences of the charges that stick. He does not have ANY leverage whatsoever, so why worry?

Having it in writing from PENNDOT would be a) nearly impossible and b) completely useless. As you saw from the link, their interpretation of the DLC is deliberately wague, and I suspect not even clear to them.

newuser4321

When I researched it more, I found that if the offense occurs in PA, reckless driving is a 6 month suspension (ouch). However, reckless in PA is displaying "willful or wanton disregard" while driving, according to the statute.

In general (if no one knows PA), how do states usually handle these discrepancies between statutes? Would they just impose the sentence the other jurisdiction does (which here sounds like VA would give no suspension based on what I've seen in this county if you're represented)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">