• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transporting a firearm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gum_Drop

What is the name of your state? LA, Livingston Parish

I drive a Ford Escape, and do not have "trunk". Where would I place a gun that I will be using at a gun range? I had always transported before with it in its locked case inside of a locked cashbox, and that placed in the trunk. Would placing inside of those 2 things and then placed as far in the rear as possiable be sufficient?

Also, on a routine speeding stop should I or am I required to tell an officer that I have a weapon? Or Just tell him if asked? There is always a 50% pecent chance that I may get pulled over while my children would be in the car, on the way to babysitter, then to gun range, and vice versa, Just want to make sure that I dont place myself and my children in a bad situation.

Thanks for any help you can provide on this matter.

TommyR1

elsieshup said:
What is the name of your state? LA, Livingston Parish

I drive a Ford Escape, and do not have "trunk". Where would I place a gun that I will be using at a gun range? I had always transported before with it in its locked case inside of a locked cashbox, and that placed in the trunk. Would placing inside of those 2 things and then placed as far in the rear as possiable be sufficient?

Also, on a routine speeding stop should I or am I required to tell an officer that I have a weapon? Or Just tell him if asked? There is always a 50% pecent chance that I may get pulled over while my children would be in the car, on the way to babysitter, then to gun range, and vice versa, Just want to make sure that I dont place myself and my children in a bad situation.

Thanks for any help you can provide on this matter.
in the state of Louisiana, your car is considered an extension of your home, and since it is legal to carry a loaded weapon in your home, you can legally carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle.

Of course, I am sure you are doing it as safely as you could with children in your car. My advice would to disclose the information if asked specifically. Don't ask don't tell.

Gum_Drop

I never transport a loaded firearm. In fact I have the bullets locked in a seperate lockbox as well. The same way they are at home, but they are also then locked in a hopechest.

My husband wanted a gun, I wanted as much protection that I could get with having a gun in my home with children. This was the compromise.

BelizeBreeze

Livingston Parish is free to enact their own concealed weapon or transporting statute based on current Louisiana Legislation.

Several parishes, in fact, utilize the Federal Safe Neighborhood initiative when charging under local ordinances and turn the cases over to the ATF.

I would strongly suggest you have your attorney contact the County Attorney to find out under which statute or ordinance you would be charged, if at all.

BelizeBreeze

and P.S. Livingston Parish participates in the Locks program and still has available safety locks for distribution....<HINT>

BelizeBreeze

elsieshup said:
so i can not transport a firearm at all??

BB you post confused me
If my post confused you then you should not be handling a gun.

It's very simple. Check with your county government (specifically your county sheriff's office or the office of the county attorney) to determine if they have specific laws governing the tranporting of guns.

And keep the damn thing locked.

Gum_Drop

BB, I dont why you are telling me to keep the damn thing Locked. No where in my post have i ever said that it was unlocked, in fact I go through many procedures to make sure that it is always secure.

And I do know from contacting law enforcement when I first purchased the gun that transporting it in the trunk of my car under the conditions I cited, was legal.

My question was about transporting in a SUV, since it does not have a seperate trunk area. As my husband just purchased one for me as a present. And the local number for the Sheriffs office is a recorded message and to Dial 911 for emergencies. As this is not an emergency, I thought to ask here as someone might know the answer.

And you post that confused me was the one citing the locks, not the one with a legal explanation.

efflandt

In most areas, unless you have a carry permit or state or local laws say otherwise, a firearm in or on a vehicle should be unloaded and encased in a case made for that purpose. I wouldn't know if there are any laws anywhere calling for a gun to be in a trunk or otherwise isolated from the passenger compartment. But I cannot see why that would be a requirement, since as long as it is unloaded and encased, it is not a threat.

In Florida I was surprised to see groups of guys running around in the back of pickup trucks with their guns out during deer season. Apparently they were not aware that Florida required firearms in a vehicle to be unloaded and encased. So the state must have made some money in fines from roadblocks they later set up around the national forest. They got the car in front of me because the passenger was sitting there with uncased (probably loaded) rifle in hand.

efflandt said:
I wouldn't know if there are any laws anywhere calling for a gun to be in a trunk or otherwise isolated from the passenger compartment. But I cannot see why that would be a requirement, since as long as it is unloaded and encased, it is not a threat.
My response:

Really? Then, you haven't been in California. Do you know how fast a gang member can load a gun? How fast can you blink your eyes? You need to visit Watts, California.

IAAL

Gum_Drop

Per the off duty Police officer that was in the same Aisle as me in Wal mart this evening (wont go in the disater the Easter Baskets turned into)

Tommy is Correct. Almost word for word what the officer told me.
As long as I am able to own a firearm, ie not a convicted felon, and the gun is legal, I can carry a loaded gun on my passenger seat.

However, if i do have under a seat or concealed, and I am asked if I have a firearm in the car and I say no then I would be arrested.

garrula lingua

I would not advise to carry on the passenger seat, loaded. You're liable to give the cop who stops you a heart attack. After he shoots you, you can explain why you had a loaded gun on your front passenger seat.

Check with your local gun range (call them - they will tell you how to transport the gun, legally, to the range). In most jurisdictions, locking the unloaded gun in a separate carrier is sufficient,but ck for your area.

TommyR1

elsieshup said:
Per the off duty Police officer that was in the same Aisle as me in Wal mart this evening (wont go in the disater the Easter Baskets turned into)

Tommy is Correct. Almost word for word what the officer told me.
As long as I am able to own a firearm, ie not a convicted felon, and the gun is legal, I can carry a loaded gun on my passenger seat.

However, if i do have under a seat or concealed, and I am asked if I have a firearm in the car and I say no then I would be arrested.
I live in Louisiana and recently attended a firearm safety class that is mandatory to take if you plan or are interested in the CCW license. I highly recommend taking the class even if you do not plan to get licensed. They cover all the state laws in the class and help you become competent in using your firearm safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">