• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trial De Novo (court 6 hours away)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boobs

Was cited disobey traffic sign in LA, 6 hours from where I live.
Found guilty in trial by written declaration. Was offered an option to take traffic school paying $54 more.

I want to request for a trial de novo and hope the cops don't show up but don't want to drive 6 hours to go to court....
I know I won't have much of a chance to win if cop shows up. so I'm risking +1 point and insurance hike if traffic school is not offered...

Is there any way to fight it without driving there besides hiring a local traffic ticket lawyer?
How much would it cost me to hire such lawyer?

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Was cited disobey traffic sign in LA, 6 hours from where I live.
Found guilty in trial by written declaration. Was offered an option to take traffic school paying $54 more.

I want to request for a trial de novo and hope the cops don't show up but don't want to drive 6 hours to go to court....
I know I won't have much of a chance to win if cop shows up. so I'm risking +1 point and insurance hike if traffic school is not offered...

Is there any way to fight it without driving there besides hiring a local traffic ticket lawyer?
How much would it cost me to hire such lawyer?

Thanks
No, you need a traffic attorney if you want to avoid appearing. For costs you would need to start making calls.

boobs

Which option would you choose?????

Bail posted was was $238

option 1 : take online traffic school

Traffic school $54 more
Online traffic school registration fee ~ $30

option 2 : fight it myself

1 day of motel : ~$80
1 day off : $$
12 hours of driving 800 miles : $80
Car wear and tear : $$
Risk of getting another ticket driving there.

option 3 : hire a attorney

cost : $200-300

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Which option would you choose?????

Bail posted was was $238

option 1 : take online traffic school

Traffic school $54 more
Online traffic school registration fee ~ $30

option 2 : fight it myself

1 day of motel : ~$80
1 day off : $$
12 hours of driving 800 miles : $80
Car wear and tear : $$
Risk of getting another ticket driving there.

option 3 : hire a attorney

cost : $200-300
Me, I'd do the traffic school. If this were a second violation, I'd consider an attorney. The option of fighting it yourself is pretty much out the window, as you've admitted that your only hope there is that the officer doesn't show up.

boobs

Only if you continue to have problems driving within the law. You're making it sound like you have issues with your driving.
no problem with my driving. But everyone speeds! That's the risk i'm talking about.

I'm thinking about hiring a local traffic attorney.....anyone has first hand experience with one?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
But everyone speeds! That's the risk i'm talking about.
That's ridiculous. Don't speed and you won't get stopped for speeding. Very simple.

Seems as though you cannot control your behavior behind the wheel. I suggest using your cruise control and paying attention to ALL signage, especially speed limit signs.

boobs

That's ridiculous. Don't speed and you won't get stopped for speeding. Very simple.

Seems as though you cannot control your behavior behind the wheel. I suggest using your cruise control and paying attention to ALL signage, especially speed limit signs.
I'm not talking about 90+ over 65mph! or 55 over 25mph! Speeding is not ridiculous! Everyone does that including you!
Cops can pull you over for doing 5mph over speed limit! or even at or below speed limit!

Anyway please get back to the topic.

CdwJava

I'm not talking about 90+ over 65mph! or 55 over 25mph! Speeding is not ridiculous!
Nah ... of course not. I mean, speed is only responsible for 30% of all injury and fatal collisions in California. Yeah ... ridiculous. :rolleyes:

In any event, opinions on your situation was offered. Hire an attorney to appear for you, and/or plead out and seek to attend traffic school if you want to save the insurance hit. Or, appear and take your chances. Your call.

ajkroy

I'm not talking about 90+ over 65mph! or 55 over 25mph! Speeding is not ridiculous! Everyone does that including you!
Cops can pull you over for doing 5mph over speed limit! or even at or below speed limit!

Anyway please get back to the topic.
I drive 5 miles under the speed limit on every road I am on. Guess what? I have never had a speeding ticket. It's weird how cops don't pull me over for that (or anything else, come to think of it).

The LIMIT is the LIMIT. If you can't prevent yourself from going over it, either because you get distracted or feel peer pressure...take a bus.

boobs

I drive 5 miles under the speed limit on every road I am on. Guess what? I have never had a speeding ticket. It's weird how cops don't pull me over for that (or anything else, come to think of it).

The LIMIT is the LIMIT. If you can't prevent yourself from going over it, either because you get distracted or feel peer pressure...take a bus.
you should probably take a bus, might get to places faster than your grandma style of driving lol

CdwJava

which part of "Cops can pull you over for doing 5mph over speed limit! or even at or below speed limit!" that isn't true?
Well, driving UNDER the speed limit can be a violation only if the vehicle is impeding traffic, or, even at that speed the act is causing the vehicle to travel at an unsafe speed. In the right circumstances, travelling at the exact speed limit can be unsafe and subject to citation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">