• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this true

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

goliathslw

What is the name of your state? VA

I was listening on the radio, granted this was in CA, that the officer must be present if I show up to court, or the ticket isn't valid?

If so, do officers generally go to court on their days off?

racer72

In Washington state, the citing officer does not automatically appear in court. The officer must be supeonaed to appear and the person requesting their presence in court must serve the supoena in person. Otherwise a representative of the district attorney's office represents the officer in court.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

goliathslw said:
What is the name of your state? VA

I was listening on the radio, granted this was in CA, that the officer must be present if I show up to court, or the ticket isn't valid?

If so, do officers generally go to court on their days off?
My response:

First, the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution (through the Fourteenth Amendment) guarantees individuals accused of criminal charges the right to confront and cross-examine any adverse witnesses who testify against them. Davis v. Alaska, 415 U.S. 308, 315, 94 S.Ct. 1105, 1110, 39 L. Ed. 2d 347, 353 (1974).

Your initial appearance in court will be your "arraignment" - - that is, your opportunity to plead "innocent" or "guilty" to the charges. If you plead innocent, the court will schedule a trial date based upon the arresting officer's schedule, and the court's schedule. Usually, a court will "work around" the officer's "days off" before requiring the officer to appear in court for trial. So, no, officers do not "usually" appear for court on their days off - - especially for "traffic court" offenses.

Since you have a Constitutional right to "confront your accuser", if an officer is ordered to appear, but fails to do so, the charges against you must be dismissed - - because no one, other than the officer, is your "accuser" and was, presumably, the only "accuser" at the scene.

The Assistant District Attorney cannot "stand in the place" of the officer, nor give testimony in the officer's absense at trial.

IAAL

G

goliathslw

Re: Re: is this true

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:

Your initial appearance in court will be your "arraignment" - - that is, your opportunity to plead "innocent" or "guilty" to the charges. If you plead innocent, the court will schedule a trial date based upon the arresting officer's schedule, and the court's schedule. Usually, a court will "work around" the officer's "days off" before requiring the officer to appear in court for trial. So, no, officers do not "usually" appear for court on their days off - - especially for "traffic court" offenses.

IAAL

What happens if I plead innocent? I can't win against the cop can I?

And what do I have to plead if all I want is for the judge to let me take traffic school so I can get the ticket off my record?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">