• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trying to get license back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rusics

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? colorado
O.k. Here it is. Have had 3 dui's then quit driving. That was 15 years ago. The last time, I finished all my fines,classes, and jail time. Just didn't want my license back because insurance was to high with a SR-22. So, the last ticket I had was for driving under suspension, the cop was mad so he printed DUI at the bottom of the ticket. Well went to court and paid 400.00 dollars for the ticket and left. Nobody said anything about DUI, and wasn't charged.Now 15 years later I go to get my drivers report,and it says I need an SR-22 and to take alchol classes to get it back. What! already did that. So that little notation,that the cop put at the bottom was noticed by the DMV? Can't get proof of doing the classes, because the place is out of business now. I guess I could get my court records,that will prove I paid and did all the nesseary classes. But how to change my drivers report to say I CAN get the license back. I some of you are mad at me but hey....

O.k. Here it is. Have had 3 dui's then quit driving.
No you didn't. You quit driving legally, as you admit below.
So, the last ticket I had was for driving under suspension
the cop was mad so he printed DUI at the bottom of the ticket.
Yeah, I hear that happens all the time - why, my friend was cited last week for jaywalking, and the cop decided to charge him with DUI for good measure, just to make sure he learned his lesson.

I some of you are mad at me but hey....
Not mad at you per se, it's just that I had a little slice taken from what little hope I have left in humanity.

I_Got_Banned

Have had 3 dui's then quit driving. That was 15 years ago. The last time, I finished all my fines,classes, and jail time. Just didn't want my license back because insurance was to high with a SR-22. So, the last ticket I had was for driving under suspension, the cop was mad so he printed DUI at the bottom of the ticket. Well went to court and paid 400.00 dollars for the ticket and left. Nobody said anything about DUI, and wasn't charged.Now 15 years later I go to get my drivers report,and it says I need an SR-22
I know this applies in California and might quite possibly apply in Colorado as well. Once you are required to file an SR-22, then that requirement remains on your record no matter how long you wait before you request that your driving privilege be reinstated. Meaning, if the Colorado DMV required you to carry an SR-22 (for example) for 3 years to have your driving privilege reinstated, then you will have to carry an SR-22 policy until November of 2001. Now, if you decide to wait and come back in May of 2023, then you will have to carry that SR-22 from May of 2023 until May of 2026.

I guess I could get my court records,that will prove I paid and did all the nesseary classes.
You might be wishful thinking there... Most courts do not "permanently" keep records of each and every case that was adjudicated there. Most will destroy those records after a 10 years period... Give it a shot but you might be disappointed there as well.

I some of you are mad at me but hey....
Please understand that (although i do not have ANY DUI's on my record, I still feel that I am not in a position to "judge" or criticize others. However, I honestly feel that you could have left that line out of your post... Why?
because to me, and after you have had "3 DUI's" {the "3" might give the impression that you don't learn from your mistakes}, here it is 15 years later, and although you're attempting to get your license reinstated, your attitude is STILL "Oh, well... " who cares what anyone else thinks...
I'll end with a question... Whether it is socially, occasionally, rarely or whatever, my question is "do you still drink"? Because in all honesty, the heck with "classes" and a bigger heck with the "SR-22". If you're still drinking, and in my opinion, you do not deserve your license back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">