• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TURN RIGHT ONS RED (Where there was NO SIGNAL for NO TURN ON RED)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gana.nataraj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi
I am in Richardson,TX and I turned right from a RIGHT ONLY LANE at a junction when the signal was red. There was NO Sign board which says NO TURN ON RED.
I am confused why I got the violation letter with the photo and video.
I asked me a fine of 75$.
Do I need to pay for the same or is it a faulty ticket?
Can I go to court and say that I am not guilty ?
My license is in Arkansas state. So will this affect my driving history ?
Could you please advise me ?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

gana.nataraj

No. I didn't.
Could I be fined for that ? If so, will it affect my driving license in Arkansas if I pay the fine.

Can I go to court to fight (like saying that I didn't know that I need to stop before making the right turn. I drive that signal every day.Once the signal turns red there is no traffic for the first 5 seconds to the road to which I turned. hence I didnt stop.But I was at speed of 10 mph with my brakes on (brake light is displayed) ? (Will it do any good ?)
Fine is 75$ which is OK. I am worried about the driving record.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Of course you need to stop. That is the law in TEXAS and ARKANSAS and just about everywhere else.

Nothing you say excuses the violation. You are required to STOP at red lights. There is no exception.

I think Arkansas will assign points for out of state violations, don't know if they will get notified on camera violations however. Do you live in Arkansas now?
Even if the points get transfered, unless you've racked up other violations, it's not going to be of much consequence.

If I was concerned with my driving record, I might try to figure out why my training was so deficient that you I didn't know I had to stop for red lights. Perhaps you should read this:
http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/hp/pdf/ar%20dl%20study%20guide_october%202007.pdf

If I was concerned with my driving record, I might try to figure out why my training was so deficient that you I didn't know I had to stop for red lights. Per
The reason hardly anyone stops before turning right is that it is usually pointless and unnecessary, and most people don't do pointless unnecessary things just because there is a rule in a book telling them to.

FlyingRon

The reason hardly anyone stops before turning right is that it is usually pointless and unnecessary, and most people don't do pointless unnecessary things just because there is a rule in a book telling them to.
If you are going to choose to ignore enacted laws because you feel it is pointless or unnecessary, then you need to be prepared to deal with the consequences.

It is not pointless nor unnecessary to come to a stop before proceeding through an red light. Yes lots of chowderheads do it, I see it every day, and I see the same idiots almost clobber pedestrians and cyclists with the right of way doing so. It's not safe for the law abiding public to do so, and I applaud enforcement.

Isis1

so this thinking causes drivers to run over people crossing sidewalks. because they didn't stop long enough to look. thanks. now i know why so many accidents happen to pedestrians.

GnBanditoCI5

The reason hardly anyone stops before turning right is that it is usually pointless and unnecessary

WOW!!! :eek: Did I really just read that?:confused:

LMFAO!!
Its POINTLESS and UNNECESSARY to stop at a red light when making a right hand turn ???

Ok how about this....

Do you think it might still be pointless to stop for the redlight if...umm..lets say a 5 ton fuel truck is chuggin down the road and has the green light as your coming up to the red light you plan on zipping through on your non stopping right hand turn fiasco ? Let me know when you plan this, as I will stock up on a truckload of marshmellows to roast over your flaming corpse!!

Or maybe its unnecessary to stop if say I was on my motorcycle cruising through the same intersection while you proceeded to NOT stop at that same right hand turn???

I mean REALLY...Its unreal that some people even have their driving license to begin with!!:mad:

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The reason hardly anyone stops before turning right is that it is usually pointless and unnecessary...
No, the reason is that people are selfish. They somehow feel that THEIR time is too valuable to obey the law and respect the safety of others.

(For the record, I don't roll my right-on-reds. I actually (GASP) stop before legally proceeding with my turn.)

Do you think it might still be pointless to stop for the redlight if...umm..lets say a 5 ton fuel truck is chuggin down the road and has the green light as your coming up to the red light you plan on zipping
:
For clarity, I was referring to those people who get red-light camera tickets, which are nearly all for failing to come to a complete stop during the first tiny fraction of a second after the red light comes on (after the yellow goes out unexpectedly early due to be being cranked all the way to the minimum to trick you).

Those people are not dodging in front of semis, because semis cannot go from a standing start to the other side of the intersection in 0.1 seconds.

Stopping for traffic that has the right of way is a good idea. Coming to a complete halt to stare at a red light on an empty street before doing a legal turn is pointless.

These red light cameras have nothing to do with safety, in fact they have been shown in many studies to increase accidents. They are there to generate money. That's why they crank down the yellow time to the minimum - they WANT you to go through on red.

The argument about pedestrian safety would hold a lot more water if it weren't for the fact that many intersections give pedestrians the green at the same time as the turning-right lane gets the green. We don't have a law telling us to come to complete halt for a green light though. We just figure it out. No nanny camera needed.

All you law-enforcement and court types who love these cameras - think a bit deeper. First of all, it makes the public despise law-enforcement and the courts when they get dinged $500 for nothing, and that's not good for you guys in the long run. Second - your jobs will go right out the window when they automate the rest of the moving violations, like speeding. They aren't going to have sherrif's deputies driving around on full pay and benefits writing $15 dollar fix-it tickets if the cameras can generate fifty times that for no salary, no benefits, and no pension. You guys are cheerleading your own demise.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are the kid who reminded the teacher when he forget to set homework. Society needs some drones like you, but not too many.
Not even close.

Now, if you'd like to contribute to this, feel free. This forum is not for a debate as to the legality of the law. In this situation, the OP violated the law. No matter how much crapola spews out of your mouth, you can't change that basic fact.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi
I am in Richardson,TX and I turned right from a RIGHT ONLY LANE at a junction when the signal was red. There was NO Sign board which says NO TURN ON RED.
I am confused why I got the violation letter with the photo and video.
I asked me a fine of 75$.
Do I need to pay for the same or is it a faulty ticket?
Can I go to court and say that I am not guilty ?
My license is in Arkansas state. So will this affect my driving history ?
Could you please advise me ?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Gana,

Unfortunately, the ticket is not faulty, at least regarding the facts and the law. If you are very lucky, you might be able to find some technical detail that might get you off, such as the ticket being sent late, or to the wrong person or address, or for citing an incorrect section of the law. For $75, it is probably easier to pay it than to spend time fighting it. Unless (I am hoping) you are a true freedom-loving Texan who fights BS on principle.

I don't agree with the other posters that this makes you a bad driver or a bad person. You are just one of the average drivers like the rest of us who made a perfectly safe turn but had the misfortune to be nabbed by a tax-collecting camera.

You may be interested to know that there are people on this board who would not have done what you did. Is that useful? I didn't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">