• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX DL suspension for speeding ticket????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

susaly

What is the name of your state?
Texas

I received a notification to suspend my driver's license (w/in 45 days) bc I am "a habitual violator of traffic laws" (4 w/in 12 months or 7 w/in 24 months). I have requested a driving record to confirm this, although as I think through, it is possible I have received that many ticktes. My husband advised me to just pay the tickets instead of going through driving courses, deferred adjudication, etc (as I always have). So that is what I did...and now this! Need some advise and direction. :eek:

I have never heard of this law and do not know how to approach it. I am not a CDL, but I do provide care to medically fragile children in their home. From the look of the letter, it seems this probably will not make a difference to the court. It specifically states "The issue before the presiding officer is whether the grounds for the suspensin stated in this notice are true." What is it IS an accurate count??? What then!

thank you in advanceWhat is the name of your state?

Smiles

I think your husband provided you with some bad advice, but what's done is done. That's a lot of violations to rack up in a year or two, and it sounds like you've been cited often prior to this. :eek:

If you look through the Texas Transportation Code (specifically, Chapter 521), you will see all the code related to non-commercial licenses. You are a habitual violator based on this section and it appears that your license will be suspended for 90 days if you do not request a hearing. If you do request a hearing, the hearing could result in no suspension, or a suspension anywhere from 30 days to a year, depending on the presiding officer's determination.

On the plus side, you may be able to apply for a hardship license. But if you get a moving violation with a hardship license, it will be revoked.

If no one provides other advice, you might want to contact an attorney to see what all your options are.

susaly said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
I received a notification to suspend my driver's license (w/in 45 days) bc I am "a habitual violator of traffic laws" (4 w/in 12 months or 7 w/in 24 months). I have requested a driving record to confirm this, although as I think through, it is possible I have received that many ticktes. My husband advised me to just pay the tickets instead of going through driving courses, deferred adjudication, etc (as I always have). So that is what I did...and now this! Need some advise and direction. :eek:
Get a copy of your driving record online at: http://www.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdps/TXDPSLicenseeManager. That will at least provide the information to know exactly what you're dealing with. At this point it sounds if you've been invited to a hearing.

susaly said:
I have never heard of this law and do not know how to approach it. I am not a CDL, but I do provide care to medically fragile children in their home. From the look of the letter, it seems this probably will not make a difference to the court. It specifically states "The issue before the presiding officer is whether the grounds for the suspensin stated in this notice are true." What is it IS an accurate count??? What then!
You have the right to an attorney. If you care at all about the privilege of driving consider hiring one. While his/her hands are probably tied due to your prior convictions, you may find he/she will help with the procedure during the hearing, and they may persuade the court to issue a shorter suspension period. You may also be eligible for an occupational (restricted) license while under suspension if you (or your attorney) ask for one.

As far as laws go, the state generally has the right to suspend a driver's license when convictions and points exceed permitted standards. Accordingly you apparently violated Texas Code Section 521.292.

Quit listening to anyone who tells you to, 'just pay the fine.' Your driver's license is too important. When you pay the fine you are pleading guilty. Even if you are guilty a visit to court can often result in a lower speed conviction, or sometimes a dismissed case. Seven convictions in 2 years -- that's extreme by anyone's standards. You didn't say what violations were committed, but you need to make adjustments to the way you drive!

KTL

Last edited:

susaly

I know it sounds horrible -- thay are all speeding tickets - avg of 10-15 over. I provide therapy services at peoples' homes - I have logged up to 150 local miles in a day. Odds are not in my favor -- crossing through different speed zones and in unfamilair areas. I have always pushed the speed limit (as if that isn't obvious) - but i am not reckless or carelss -- as if that justifies it. Like you I am alarmed by the numer in the time period -- I typically averag one to 2 a year, take defensive driving and maybe plea for deferred adjudication when necessary. Which is still alot of tickets -- just not 7 in 2 years. Crazy as it might be. Sounds like I will be recruiting some professional assistance on this one. And the first thing I did this morning was request a driving record to verify the charges.

Thanks for your input and the links. I will be researching them next.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">