• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX failure to change address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swimklp57

I am in Texas and received a speeding ticket (I was speeding) along with a failure to change address on my driver's license. I kept my parent's address on my license because I still consider it my permanent address. My paychecks are sent there along with any of my college information. I went ahead and changed my driver's license address, but was called to appear in court. What do I do?

marbol

swimklp57 said:
I am in Texas and received a speeding ticket (I was speeding) along with a failure to change address on my driver's license. I kept my parent's address on my license because I still consider it my permanent address. My paychecks are sent there along with any of my college information. I went ahead and changed my driver's license address, but was called to appear in court. What do I do?
How is it that anyone (the officer) knew you were at a different address than the one on your license. You are perfectly in your rights to delcare that you still live at home as long as that is where you "reside"

Going to school somewhere and temporarily staying in a dorm is not sufficient for an officer to redclare or dictate to you that you live in a different place just so they can issue you a ticket.

Tell the judge that you "Currently reside at the address of your parents" - If the state gets away with this crap, they'll be ticketing everyone that stays at a Motel 6 for not registering that address with the State.

Can you say "Let me see your papers, please"

Argh!

But you better show up in court and ask if you can take defensive driving for the ticket. Some rules apply but if you are eligible, the judge MUST allow you to take it and dismiss the ticket once you comply.

I agree with Marbol.

My parents have lived out of state for the past several years, stepdad is in the Army, but they both maintain thier Texas driver's liscenses, Texas residency, and vote absentee in Texas elections.

justalayman

Curious as to why you changed your address. Apparently you are a student.

Do you rent a home part year? School housing?

regardless of the answers to any of these questions do not miss the court date.

swimklp57

Thank you all for your answers, and don't worry, I definately plan on attending the court hearing. I do rent my own apartment, but I consider my parent's home my permanent address. I am a teacher in the district my parents live in and my checks from the school district all go to my parents' house.

Again, thank you all for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">