• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX - right turn at red light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ceara19

Can a person treat the red light as a stop sign when there's no other traffic?

Correct Answer: YES, when turning right.

§ 544.007. TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNALS IN GENERAL.
(d) An operator of a vehicle facing only a steady red signal shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. A vehicle that is not turning shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. After stopping, standing until the intersection may be entered safely, and yielding right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the intersection, the operator may:
(1) turn right; or

For about the 10th time the LEO makes no mention of a complete stop or not - he is saying point blank that one can never proceed though a red light ever - we all know that this is completely incorrect. But for the prosecutors out there please keep trying to cloud the issue. I'm not sure why you folks are here other than you think this is the judge judy show where you can invent the law to your liking:)
The LEO NEVER actually stated "you can't ever go through a red light". That was only the OP INTERPRETATION of what was said.

The OP specifically asked "I specifically asked if I could treat the red light as a stop sign when there's no other traffic." Regardless of how the LEO answered that question, or whether that answer was correct or not, has no bearing on the ticket the OP received. The ticket is VALID because he ADMITTEDLY ran the red light. Failing to make a complete and total stop at an intersection where you do not have the right of way is the same crime whether you coast through the intersection or you blow through it going 95MPH. However, going 95MPH through an intersection will get you several OTHER citations in addition to the failure to stop.

ceara19

I don't see any further argument possible by the OP
Exactly! The OP wasn't ticketed for an illegal turn. The LEO could have told him that it's illegal to treat a stop light as a stop sign with out first getting out and riding around the car 3 times on a unicycle while juggling samurai sword that have been set on fire and that wouldn't change the fact that he ran the light.

W

WindyAruba

I don't see any further argument possible by the OP
Just for the sake of consistency, when you roll out of a driveway without making a complete stop prior to entering a highway or when you drive 1 mile over the speed limit do you report yourself?

What you are constantly saying is that everyone should do their best to prosecute themselves on charges that have not been articulated by enforcement personel.

You have to big the biggest hypocrite on the planet.

Ceara needs to go back to her hairdressing...law and traffic is obviously beyond her grasp...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just for the sake of consistency, when you roll out of a driveway without making a complete stop prior to entering a highway or when you drive 1 mile over the speed limit do you report yourself?

What you are constantly saying is that everyone should do their best to prosecute themselves on charges that have not been articulated by enforcement personel.

Ceara needs to go back to her hairdressing...law and traffic is obviously beyond her grasp...
HUH?
Let me make this simple. OP says he failed to stop at a red light and was cited for failure to stop at a red light. What argument do YOU see?

BelizeBreeze

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=local&id=4780649&ft=exLg

"A Department of Correction truck ran the same red light twice in just six weeks."

Wonder if the dept. of corrections officer reported himself???
It's time to grow up Windy. I suggest if you can't comprehend the legal aspects of the ORIGINAL post, you keep quiet. Or perchance you'd like to explain to this forum from which Law School you graduated and where you practice law, since you have absolutely no adult understanding of the legal process.

CdwJava

sgtdanmurphy said:
For about the 10th time the LEO makes no mention of a complete stop or not - he is saying point blank that one can never proceed though a red light ever - we all know that this is completely incorrect. But for the prosecutors out there please keep trying to cloud the issue. I'm not sure why you folks are here other than you think this is the judge judy show where you can invent the law to your liking:)
However, the OP says he did not stop for the turn. So, in any event he still must stop and proceed only after he had come to a stop. So, the section as cited was correct. The fact that the officer was incorrect or misinterpreted is entirely irrelevent as the section was applied correctly in the OP's case.

- Carl

CdwJava

sgtdanmurphy said:
In TX they commonly write the name or nature of the violation on citations and not the code section ... odd, but that is the way it works in some states.

How does the accused know what he is specifically charged with then?
Beats me ... I can only presume they later receive a charging notice of some kind, or they receive the specific information at arraignment. I have learned over the years that there are actually several states where this is done, and at least one state where signing the citation can be an admission of guilt!

Every state is different, and what holds true in one does not necessarily apply to another.

- Carl

CdwJava

WindyAruba said:
Do you? Depending on the state there may be no requirement to "stop" before entering traffic from a driveway, only that one yield to traffic.

But that is not the issue here. It is not a matter of advising the OP to confess. The OP committed the violation, it was obviously seen by the officer, and he was cited for said violation.

- Carl

ceara19

What the hell are you smoking?!?! First of all, you must have me confused with someone else. I don't know where you got the idea that I was a hairdresser, but you're WRONG. And the rest of your reply is WRONG as well. No one told the OP to turn himself in for anything. HE admitted to running the light in the very first post. You might want to take a few reading comprehension courses before you answer any more questions.

ceara19

Beats me ... I can only presume they later receive a charging notice of some kind, or they receive the specific information at arraignment. I have learned over the years that there are actually several states where this is done, and at least one state where signing the citation can be an admission of guilt!

Every state is different, and what holds true in one does not necessarily apply to another.

- Carl
They have a certain number of days to either pay the ticket or to plead not guilty or no contest. Once the court receives the filing, a letter is sent with the court date and exact charges. Although I don't understand why some people are all worked up about the exact charge because the OP already KNOWS the charge. He ran a stop light. As I explained earlier, it doesn't matter to what degree he ran the light, the charge is the same regardless of how fast he ran the light.

What is the name of your state?

What is the name of your state? TX

I got a ticket for turning right at a red light in Dallas, TX. I didn't stop completely so I know I'm wrong there. The confusion for me is that the officer said I can't run a red light no matter which direction I was going. He didn't mention anything about my stop completely or not. I specifically asked if I could treat the red light as a stop sign when there's no other traffic. He said NO. The message is "you can't turn right at red light". I double checked that the particular intersection is not a "no turn right at red" place.

The voilation on the ticket is "RED RAN RED LIGHT 2119". Could anyone let me know if the 2119 is a code for something or just a number?

I read the instruction on the ticket and visited the court website. I'm still not sure if I'm approved to take the safety class, to which I'm qualified, do I still need to pay the full amount of the ticket.

Thanks.
Whether your turn or go straight, failure to stop at a red light is running a red light. Making a legal turn at a red light is a different thing entirely, and can only be done following a stop. As to what the officer told you, he is not the proper source for driver education, and is not obligated (and apparently isn't qualified) to give you legal advice. Having first-hand knowledge that you violated the law, and were given a citation as a result, there remains but one more step during which new information will be delivered, and that is the presence in court, the opinion/judgement of the court as to whether charges in the citing are properly made and applicable in this case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">