• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX Statute of Limitations Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cowboyup1248

What is the name of your state? Texas

speeding ticket issued on 9-24-07, trail set for 2-13-08, and need to know what the texas statute of limitations on traffic cases are to determine if this trail has been scheduled outside of those limitations there by granting me a dismissal.

FlyingRon

Statute of limitations applies to the time between the commission of the crime and prosecution commencing (i.e., when your are charged). However there is a speedy trial law that I believe is 60 or 90 days . Was there an earlier appearance date? Did you file some sort of plea by mail?

FlyingRon

I think you may have waived your speedy trial rights by agreeing to that date in the prelim. I'm not even sure if the civil violations are bound by the 90 day limit.

racer72

From a Texas attorney: The speedy trial law does not apply since a traffic ticket is not an indictment, information, or complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">