• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

U.S. speeding ticket & a Canadian citizen... please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xgirl96

After graduating college in May of 2006, I was driving across the country with a friend from Las Vegas to my home in Toronto, Canada.

I received a speeding ticket of $69 in Nebraska for going 85 in a 75mph zone.

As the complete dummy that I am, I left the ticket in my friend's car's glove compartment. She went out of the country and back to school.

Only now do I have the ticket back -- along with a letter citing a warrant for my arrest, which I received in August 2006.

Is there any point in paying the ticket now? Would they accept it?
Obviously, there is no excuse for not paying my ticket on time.

In addition, I've tried to contact the sheriff's office repeatedly with no avail.

I've never had any sort of ticket before, and the very last thing I want to do is go to jail.

Thanks so much for any and all advice.

Shay-Pari'e

Yes, there is a point to paying the ticket now. Be done with it . If you don't, you may never ever be able to cross over again.

Just Blue

Yes, there is a point to paying the ticket now. Be done with it . If you don't, you may never ever be able to cross over again.

Just wanted to add: Don't try to cross the border till you get the warrent cleared up...Wouldn't want to spend your vacation in a New York jail!;)

xgirl96

Aw, come on, guys! Toronto's my favorite place :p

Mind you, my only experience living in the States has been four years in Las Vegas - not exactly the most homely of cities.

Also, about the ticket: I'll send it off with payment today. It just states that there's a 60-day deadline, and once I pass that deadline, there's no going back. But if you believe I can still clear my name, then there is still hope.

One of my best friends IS getting married, and I would hate to miss the wedding because of being such an idiot.

Thanks so much guys... I'll keep checking back!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">