• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

U-Turn in California (Culver City)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dustymoon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I made a U-Turn from the "suicide lane" (the middle lane that has a single solid line next to a dotted line on both sides). I thought this was legal. I know that if it is illegal, my ignorance will not get me off, but I'm not convinced it is actually illegal and I can't tell from reading the law and what I've found on this and other forums today. The law says:

22102. No person in a business district shall make a U-turn, except at an intersection, or on a divided highway where an opening has been provided in accordance with Section 21651. This turning movement shall be made as close as practicable to the extreme left-hand edge of the lanes moving in the driver's direction of travel immediately prior to the initiation of the turning movement, when more than one lane in the direction of travel is present.

And here's Section 21651
21651. (a) Whenever a highway has been divided into two or more roadways by means of intermittent barriers or by means of a dividing section of not less than two feet in width, either unpaved or delineated by curbs, double-parallel lines, or other markings on the roadway, it is unlawful to do either of the following:

(1) To drive any vehicle over, upon, or across the dividing section.

(2) To make any left, semicircular, or U-turn with the vehicle on the divided highway, except through an opening in the barrier designated and intended by public authorities for the use of vehicles or through a plainly marked opening in the dividing section.

(b) It is unlawful to drive any vehicle upon a highway, except to the right of an intermittent barrier or a dividing section which separates two or more opposing lanes of traffic. Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (c), a violation of this subdivision is a misdemeanor.

(c) Any willful violation of subdivision (b) which results in injury to, or death of, a person shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison, or imprisonment in a county jail for a period of not more than six months.

So what I'm wondering is... does that area of the road (the "suicide lane") count as an opening since it's not "double-parallel lines"? It's there mainly so that people can turn left into driveways of businesses on either side, and according to the officer, only for that reason. Is he right? I would just pay the $300 (bail, plus traffic school fee to the court, plus traffic school fee to the school) and do the traffic school except that I also read that I will get a "dismissal" on my driving record and that my insurance can still go up. I'm actually not worried bout the point on my license because this is the first violation I've had in 20 years... so is it worth it to spend the extra money and time on traffic school? Hmmm... that turned into a two part question =)

Thanks!
Dusty

FlyingRon

The suicide lane doesn't constitute a divided road under 21651.
22102 applies.

What were you charged wth.

dustymoon

charged with...

I think I was charged with v.c. 22102, that's the only codish thing on the ticket, but I'm obviously pretty confused.

Thanks so much for your feedback =)

jfryjfry

The suicide lane doesn't constitute a divided road under 21651.
22102 applies.

What were you charged wth.

why doesn't that constitute a divided road? you have a road with opposing traffic with a painted barrier in the middle: "deliniated by...other markings on the roadway."

I just got a ticket for the SAME thing and feel that it is legal, with the possible exception that there is not a "plainly marked opening."

but the flip side is that there is rarely 'openings' into these suicide lanes. I would guess that the dotted line is what indicates openings as opposed to having a double yellow line which cannot be crossed.

thoughts?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Once ya'll realize that the "plainly marked opening" = "Left Turn Lane", you'll do fine ;)

jfryjfry

then how, legally, is one supposed to enter a 'suicide lane' deliniated by solid and broken yellow lines on both sides?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
then how, legally, is one supposed to enter a 'suicide lane' deliniated by solid and broken yellow lines on both sides?
Oh, you can enter it for a left turn (or to complete a left turn)...you just can't U-TURN from it in a business district.

I_Got_Banned

I think you're confusing the two solid yellow lines which mark the outer edges of this particular lane WITH what is stated in the language of 21651(a) which states double parallel solid.

Here check this document:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/signtech/mutcdsupp/pdf/camutcd/CAMUTCD-Part3.pdf

We normally see the lines drawn as in Figure 3A-108 (CA) ~ Fig Detail 31 ~ Two Way Left Turn lane.

The other one is in the same document, under Figure 3A-107 ~Median island

I hope that clears it up for you.

Last edited:

arvipamr1

yes. yes. you can.

Center Left Turn Lanes

A center left turn lane is located in the middle of a two-way street and is marked on both sides by two painted lines. The inner line is broken and the outer line is solid. If a street has a center left turn lane, you must use it when you turn left (CVC §21460.5 (c)) or start a permitted U-turn.

You may only drive for 200 feet in the center left turn lane. This lane is not a regular traffic lane or a passing lane. To turn left from this lane, signal, look over your shoulder, and drive completely inside the center left turn lane. Do not stop with the back of your vehicle blocking traffic.
--++++++++

Legal U-Turns

A U-turn is turning your vehicle around in the street to go back the way you came. To make a U-turn, signal and use the far left lane or the center left turn lane. You may make a legal U-turn:

Across a double yellow line when it is safe and legal.

In a residential district: If there are no vehicles approaching you within 200 feet.

Whenever a traffic sign, light, or signal protects you from approaching vehicles.

At an intersection on a green light or green arrow, unless a "No Uturn" sign is posted.

On a divided highway, only if an opening is provided in the center divider.

Illegal U-Turns

Never make a U-turn:

At or on a railroad crossing.

On a divided highway by crossing a dividing section, curb, strip of land, or two sets of double yellow lines.

Where you cannot see clearly 200 feet in each direction because of a curve, hill, rain, fog, or other reason.

Where a "No U-Turn" sign is posted.

When other vehicles may hit you.

On a one-way street.

In front of a fire station. Never use a fire station driveway to turn your vehicle around.

In business districts. Areas with churches, apartments, multiple dwelling houses, clubs, and public buildings (except schools) are also considered to be business districts. Turn only at an intersection or where openings are provided for turns.

pre

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">