• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

U-turn in a school zone violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twinelm

What is the name of your state? Texas

My 16 year old son received a traffic ticket today for a U-turn in a school zone. He signaled, was prudent etc ie there was no traffic and was immediately pulled by a policeman who apparently had been parked nearby and was ticketed for a U turn in a school zone (also receiving a warning for expired inspection sticker) I can find no mention of a U turn being illegal in either the driver's handbook or the Texas state statutes. It was 4 oclock in the afternoon with good visibility and light traffic which was printed on the ticket. To make matters worse I have made a U turn on this wide street a number of times myself not having any idea there was anything wrong with it...can you advise, should I hire an attorney and fight this, where would be a good place to find whether this is a "made up" charge to harrass my son who also had a couple of friends with him. Also what about insurance increases? Oh, one other thing, this policeman was a school resource officer and also I guess a city policeman (less than 7,000 pop.).
Thanks for any help you can give

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Were there posted signs?

On the ticket, was there a statute number that your son allegedly violated? If so, care to share it with us?

IAAL

T

twinelm

No, there was no sign, am not even sure there is a school zone sign although it was near a school. And no, there was no statute on the ticket, just the words "illegal U-turn in school zone."

That evening (last night) the officer came in to the Dominos where my son was working and told him to come to his office after school with the ticket which my son did but didn't catch him. The officer went back to Dominos again tonight and tore up the ticket in front of my son!

I had spent a long time on the internet with the Texas law last night and couldn't find anything in it and even asked today at city municipal court office (i am a city employee too in a different department) and was told that yes it was a violation they had looked it up once before, but when they went to the statutes, couldn't find anything either!!! They were supposed to call me if they found anything but by five oclock I still hadn't heard.

Guess it was just a way to hassle high school boys to keep them away from the vicinity of the middle school! And I am still not sure why the officer tore up the ticket or even why he gave it to my son in the first place!

Does this happen often do you think?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">