• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

un safe lane change questions....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blackchevy02

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ok im in Va, I got the ticket in may of 08, had court in September, ticket had Unsafe lane change written on it, the case was continued 3 times due to the cop not showing up, and the judge just said I should do traffic school, but can only do a court approved traffic school that I take at the court house. Im having trouble finding an open date to go that fits both mine and my parents schedule since one of my parents must go with me. (its 3 days long) and the judge asked it be done by the 16th of feb. Is it still possible to just pay the ticket? If it is what does it to to my license, I was 17 at the time of the ticket so I wasn't under the points thing yet. I turn 18 in march if this makes a difference. Part of me now would just rather have it over with and pay the stupid ticket. Im just worried 1, what it may do to my license, do I loose it for just one offense, and 2, will it go away when I change to the points license when I turn 18? 3. Is it even possible to pay the ticket now? and if it is how do I do it since I cant look it up online since it was in juvi court. I dont even know how much the fine was. Thanks

FlyingRon

You're missing some details here but let me assume you were under a 90 day or whatever continuance to get traffic school. If the continuance period expires, they'll proceed with the trial and you will be found guilty. As a youthful operator let me tell you what will happen. In addition to the fine, you'll have to ....pause.... TAKE DRIVING SCHOOL. Now a sympathetic judge at this point might let you do the adult school (no real change for you but it means your parents won't have to go).

If you do manage to schedule a date that you and your parents can make, then you may be able (before your time is up) to get the judge to extend your continuance. Since my daughter was away at college, I got them to extend hers to the holidays so she could do it over school break.

blackchevy02

You're missing some details here but let me assume you were under a 90 day or whatever continuance to get traffic school. If the continuance period expires, they'll proceed with the trial and you will be found guilty. As a youthful operator let me tell you what will happen. In addition to the fine, you'll have to ....pause.... TAKE DRIVING SCHOOL. Now a sympathetic judge at this point might let you do the adult school (no real change for you but it means your parents won't have to go).

If you do manage to schedule a date that you and your parents can make, then you may be able (before your time is up) to get the judge to extend your continuance. Since my daughter was away at college, I got them to extend hers to the holidays so she could do it over school break.

the judge sentenced me to take this driving school thing due to the police officer never showing up If done by the 16th of feb, the case is dismissed, if not done, im not sure what happens. It sounds like I either do the driving school now and get it over with, or let the ticket go, have to pay for it, and still have to do driver improvement which is really the same thing that I have to do now anyway. Hopefully I can works something out with my parents then. Thanks a bunch for the info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">