• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unattended Hit and Run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dagr8one300

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I'm in a bit of a predicament. I was involved in a hit and run about 2 weeks ago in a city owned parking lot. I was pulling into the spot and accidentally nudged the rear, driver side, leaving a few scratches and a small dent. I was stupid enough to leave the scene because I panicked and didn't know what to do since this was the first time I've done anything like this. Now, I've been cited with "failure to stop after an accident" and am facing a court appearance next Monday.

I've been stressing about this ever since I received the call from the officer on Saturday and would appreciate some information. I was hoping that you could tell me exactly what I should expect in terms of a fine or anything (I've heard that jail time is possible, but not probable in my situation).

A little bit of background information about me is that I have not had a ticket since I was cited for speeding about a year and a half ago, and have never had any criminal matters. If you could respond to this ASAP, I'd greatly appreciate it. I just am so worried about all of this and would like to know what I might be in for. Thank you for your help!

cyjeff

What, exactly, was the number of the statute under which you were charged?

For the record, your hit and run wasn't unintended at all. You saw the situation and made a decision to break the law and to screw over another driver.

Let's not play "I am innocent because I got scared." That doesn't wash.

Just what you heard - jail time is unlikely, but you'll undoubtedly get a (deservedly) large fine.

Next time, try doing the right thing - it tends to have fewer negative consequences.

dagr8one300

I know what I did was wrong, I did intentionally leave the scene because I just simply panicked. I'm not saying I'm innocent at all, I'm just saying that I'd never intentionally harm someone else, it was an accident that I handled wrongly.

The ordinance that I was cited under was 73.30 if that helps anything...

seniorjudge

(B) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of failure to stop after an accident, a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the violation results in serious physical harm or death to a person, failure to stop after an accident is a felony to be prosecuted under appropriate state law.

The court, in addition to any other penalties provided by law, shall impose upon the offender a class five suspension of the offender’s driver’s license, commercial driver’s license, temporary instruction permit, probationary license, or nonresident operating privilege from the range specified in R.C. § 4510.02(A)(5). No judge shall suspend the first six months of suspension of an offender’s license, permit, or privilege required by this division.

(R.C. § 4549.02) (‘65 Code, § 72.35)

I believe that this is one of those standardized city ordinances.

http://www.hillsboroohio.net/PDF/mayor/ordinance/Revised%20City%20Ordinance%20Combined.pdf

dagr8one300

Thanks for the information you've provided me everyone, I really appreciate it.

So, now, bottom line....what do you think the fine will end up being? I'm just wondering what I'm looking at with this offense. Again, I know what I did was wrong and I feel horrible about it, I'd just like to have an idea of what I should expect to happen since I have to wait until Monday and will just be sitting around thinking about it until then, stressing myself out of my mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">