• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unbelievable ticket. Not sure of legality. Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

masteez

About an hour ago, I was going to the bank to make a deposit. This bank is right around the corner from my house The bank parking lot is right before a red light. The light happened to be red. I turned into the parking lot and realized that my girlfriend had my bank card back at my house, so I turned out of the parking lot to go get it. I noticed a black impala (usually undercover cars here in New York) stop at the corner. I make the right never passing them to go down my block. I make the next left down my block, pull into my driveway, and take the keys out of the car. I'm walking up my steps into my house when I see that same car pull up. NOW they decide to turn their lights on, making a huge scene in front of my house. Four of them hop out like I'm running from them with a pistol. They start shining their flashlights in my car on my own property.

I ask them what I'm being pulled over for and they tell me "you know what you did". My girlfriend at this point came outside concerned. They gave my a ticket for "Avoiding an intersection/Red Light". Naturally I was a little pissed off at the cops for making a huge scene in front of my house for basically nothing, and while talking to them I called one of them Mo, which is fairly common to call people seeing as I'm from New York City. This really pissed off the cops.

My main question is, what are my chances of fighting this ticket. The cops were never behind me, they never flashed their sirens. Their sirens were never on until they pulled up to my car that was parked in my driveway, so I couldn't have known they were cops. My car was already turned off, on my own property. I was out of the car halfway up my stairs walking into my house. I also noticed that on the ticket where it says sex, they put a "w". Last time I checked, I had a penis. I'm not sure if W is police code for male or he wrote the ticket upside down, but does this in some way make the ticket invalid. I find it really hard to believe that I could be pulled over in my own driveway my cops who never had a siren on that weren't even behind me. I'm having a hard time getting over this. It's a $90 ticket, which isn't that bad, but if it's points on my license I'm ****ed. Is this points on my license and do they have a case? Sorry for the length of this.

snostar

You will have the option to fight the ticket, but the facts you presented here will have no bearing on the validity of the ticket.

You Are Guilty

Let me guess. They wrote you up for 4-07(c)(2)? Typically, the intent of that section is to punish the "gasholes" who cut through corner gas stations to skip a light. But, as you found out, it applies anytime they think you tried to beat a light by going through a parking lot.

You can certainly fight it, but to have even a slight chance of winning, you'll have to do it in person and then get lucky and get a sympathetic ALJ. Again, the PVB just wants your money. They don't really care how you drive or if you mow people down with any regularity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">