• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Under age and unlicensed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itzabel2801

What is the name of your state? CA

I allowed my then 14 year old son to drive us home one night after hurting my back at work.

I am the one to be held responsible, however, he was ordered to appear to court and pay a fine. I am concerned for his ability to get a license and/or get a bad record without officially having one.

He has completed driver's ed but he has to wait until he is 15 1/2 to get his learner's permit issued.

Does he have a defense? How can we ask for a fine reduction and/or community service? We are both unemployed at the moment.

Also, we where not informed why we got pulled-over, nor, did we receive any other violation ticket(s). I am not trying to evade my responsibility, but I am seeking to know if the officer followed due process.

Thanks.

qcxlvr1

You permitted a 14 year old with no permit or license to operate a vehicle? You're lucky all he got was a ticket out of this--I probably would have hauled everyone down to the precinct if you were in New York. Despite the fact that he completed a driver's ed program, you can't tell me that a 14 year old has the proper reflexes to control a car and react quickly in emergency situations. You permitted a very potentially dangerous situation.

No, you have no defense as I see it. Yes, you may be able to get a fine or community service--if the judge really wants to throw the book at him, he can have his permit/license suspended. Yes--you can be suspended before you even have a license, because driving is a privledge and not a right.

I really don't think the issue is whether or not the officer followed due process. If you want to drag your feet, however, get a lawyer and have him challenge the grounds for the stop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">