• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Under CO traffic law, is a "no contest" plea permissible ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frontseat767

What is the name of your state? CO

I live in another state than CO. I received a speeding ticket there. This I know: I can pay the ticket with the fine by mail but above my signature on the ticket & according to the directions, plead guilty, as pre-printed above my signature. In checking various sources online, it appears one cannot plead anything but "Guilty" in order to pay traffic tickets by mail in Colorado. In many states, one can plead "nolo contendere" (no contest) in lieu of guilty BUT it appears this is not the case for traffic tickets in CO.

Does anyone know for certain under CO traffic law.... if I can scratchout the word "guilty" & write in/substitute the term "nolo contendere" on the ticket & mail it in, OR must I plead guilty in order to avoid actually travelling to CO & physically going to court?

ANSWERS ONLY PLEASE. No questions as to why etc. Thanks.

Last edited:

sukharev

Do you know the difference?

Hint: there is no difference (at least for traffic tickets). It's an urban legend. You basically let the judge decide if you are guilty or not. Guess what he will choose :)

frontseat767

frontseat767

Yes, I know that. Also called nolo contendere (Latin). It appears however that CO motor vehicle law does not allow anything but a guilty or not guilty plea, unlike other types of courts in CO, such as criminal court, which allow nolo pleas.
I plan on just paying the ticket & paying the fine by mail but would rather plead nolo than guilty. It appears that is not allowed in CO traffic court & that is why I am asking if anyone knows differently than what I've researched online.
Basically I can plead guilty & pay the fine by mail OR not guilty, in which case I would have to fight the ticket, probably in person, which is not worth it.

Thanks,
frontseat767

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">