• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unfamiliar area speeding black night

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohangelface2005

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State , township, Cape Vincent

I WAS SPEEDING AT 52 IN A 30 MILE ZONE ... WASNT AWARE SPEEDING.
DIDNT SEE SIGNS AS iM IN UNFAMILIAR TERRITORY VISITING A FRIEND. iM FROM cONNECTICUT ..i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE FINE IS AND IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET THE FINE REDUCED SOMEHOW ??? i'M A SENIOR CITIZEN.

You may be able to get the fine reduced by contesting it and making a plea deal.

That may require several trips to the area where you got the ticket.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State , township, Cape Vincent

DIDNT SEE SIGNS AS iM IN UNFAMILIAR TERRITORY VISITING A FRIEND. iM FROM cONNECTICUT ..i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE FINE IS AND IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET THE FINE REDUCED SOMEHOW ??? i'M A SENIOR CITIZEN.

Hopefully, Connecticult will become aware in the very near future of your inability to drive and you'll lose your license. You obviously didn't understand by looking at the speedometer that you were 22 miles over the speed limit or you didn't bother to check the speedometer at all.

That you were in unfamiliar territory is a lousy excuse. People tend to drive slower and more cautiously when in an unfamiliar area.

Look for the amount of the fine on Google.

Why should they reduce the fine because you're a senior citizen? They should see to it that you don't drive again.

Read the subject line. Black night? Please get off the road. Please.

Last edited:

sandyclaus

If it was so dark, and you were in unfamiliar territory, you should have been traveling slower, with more caution, and paying closer attention to the road and your surroundings.

The fact that you "weren't aware" will not be a mitigating factor. You SHOULD have been paying closer attention.

The fact that you are a senior citizen is also not a mitigating factor. That just means that you are old enough to know better than make excuses for your irresponsible actions.

You can certainly ASK for a reduction in the fine, but going 22 MPH over the posted limit is going to be a problem. According to what I have found, going 11 MPH or more over the posted speed limit CAN net you a 15-day jail sentence if the judge sees fit to impose the penalty.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
New York State has no townships. Cape Vincent is apparently a village.

Connecticut drivers, sheesh...

22 over the limit is 6 points and you'll have to pay an additional $300 in addition to any fine imposed.

The charge will not be reduced unless you appear in court at some point and get offered a plea.

sandyclaus

Reduce it to zero by preparing a defense ... and winning the case. NY's $300 special fee is a raping of people. IMO
What possible defense could this person come up with? All I heard were excuses as to why they didn't have to pay attention. Not a defense that would work, I'm afraid.

And that $300 special fee? A lesson for those that get caught speeding excessively. You may call it rape, but most others would see that as a valuable deterrent. Don't want to have to pay an additional $300 on a ticket like this? Then don't earn yourself the ticket by driving so recklessly.

davidmcbeth3

What possible defense could this person come up with? All I heard were excuses as to why they didn't have to pay attention. Not a defense that would work, I'm afraid.
The state still needs to prove the speeding charge .. its a standard speeding defense (making them present evidence & testimony & trying to keep such information out of the record).

Not paying attention is not a defense - its an excuse; and not one that will win the day.

One does not have to be innocent to win a speeding case.

slwslw

DIDNT SEE SIGNS AS iM IN UNFAMILIAR TERRITORY
You didn't see the signs because you're not from around there?:eek:

Yeah, those damn New Yorkers hide the signs from tourists.

Believe it or not, in New York they actually do put up false signs. Those bridge clearance signs are (intentionally) all off by a foot in New York.

Just google new york traffic attorneys, they have websites chock full of info. on beating a New York ticket.

HomeGuru

If it was so dark, and you were in unfamiliar territory, you should have been traveling slower, with more caution, and paying closer attention to the road and your surroundings.

The fact that you "weren't aware" will not be a mitigating factor. You SHOULD have been paying closer attention.

The fact that you are a senior citizen is also not a mitigating factor. That just means that you are old enough to know better than make excuses for your irresponsible actions.

You can certainly ASK for a reduction in the fine, but going 22 MPH over the posted limit is going to be a problem. According to what I have found, going 11 MPH or more over the posted speed limit CAN net you a 15-day jail sentence if the judge sees fit to impose the penalty.
**A: good one. I don't see too many people driving faster in a dark and unfamiliar territory area. Maybe the OP is former astronaut.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
According to what I have found, going 11 MPH or more over the posted speed limit CAN net you a 15-day jail sentence...
It has nothing to do with the speed. I have no idea where you got that from, but it's wrong.

That possible penalty can apply to any petty offense.

slwslw

Those are not "false" signs.
They're off by a foot, how is that not false.:rolleyes:

If the clearance is 13' 9", the sign will read 12'9" causing a trucker to jam on his brakes and have to back up to find an alternate route, if he doesn't know the signs are false.:rolleyes:

NY is the only state that does that. Very dangerous.:rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They're off by a foot, how is that not false.:rolleyes:

If the clearance is 13' 9", the sign will read 12'9" causing a trucker to jam on his brakes and have to back up to find an alternate route, if he doesn't know the signs are false.:rolleyes:

NY is the only state that does that. Very dangerous.:rolleyes:
Wow, and it's not possible for measurement errors to creep in?

So, let's say the driver measured his load at 13'7" and sees the sign read 13'9" and says "ok, I'm fine"...then, while driving through, he runs over a small imperfection in the road...WHAM, the load hits the bridge.

Furthermore, the trucker doesn't have to "jam" on his brakes...what an asine thing to say. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

(And, have you measured every bridge in every state? I think not. :rolleyes:)

slwslw

So, let's say the driver measured his load at 13'7" and sees the sign read 13'9" and says "ok, I'm fine"...then, while driving through, he runs over a small imperfection in the road...WHAM, the load hits the bridge.
Your comment indicates you were unable to comprehend what I wrote. Try it again.

Only in New York State are the signs are off by a foot. The state State of New York openly admits all their bridge signs are off by a foot.

... so in your scenario, the drivers truck is 13'7" and the bridge sign reads 13'9", that means the actual clearance is 14'9".

Furthermore, the trucker doesn't have to "jam" on his brakes...what an asine thing to say
How do you figure that's an assinine thing to say? If his trailer is 13'6" high and the bridge sign reads 12'9", and he doesn't know the sign is off by a foot, are you suggesting he not jam on his brakes?

Hitting a bridge is costly. Not only can you tear up your trailer and destroy the contents of the trailer, you're company will have to pay for an inspector to check the bridge and pay for damages to the bridge.

A truck can easily cause millions of dollars worth of damage to a bridge.

I'd slam my brakes on if that's what it took to avoid going under the bridge.

I'd intentionally flip the truck over on its side or slide it down a hill into a ravine filled with rattle snakes before I ever hit a bridge.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">