• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uninspected vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kimmc

Yup, I screwed up. My vehicle was supposed to be inspected in June. It wasn't, and still isn't. I got pulled over yesterday (NY state) for unispected vehicle. I told the officer that I went to get it inspected at the only garage in my town that didn't need an appointment on Saturday and they didn't have any tickets for my year of vehicle. They made an appointment for me TODAY and I was going to get it inspected. This is not a lie, but he didn't beleive me. Anyway, is there a time limit that I have to get it inspected and get the ticket thrown out? Is it points on my license?

ALawyer

This is a case of what the judge will do if he thinks you are a nice guy.

If you are late by 1 day, you are illegally using an uninspected car. The law is that you must get it inspected when it is due to be inspected, not after they catch you.

But most judges are reasonable and if you come with an affidavit from the garage (or even better, the garage owner -- the afidavit is technically hearsay but most judges will allow it in) that you had been there before the expiry date but they could not accomodate you, and you had made an appointment for the very day you got the ticket, and the judge is in a good mood and thinks you are a nice guy with a clean record, s/he may let you off.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">