• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured Vehicle -- From 8 Years Ago!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gotlawyer

My state is NY...I was having dinner at my parents' house (where I used to live up 'til 3 years ago) and noticed a piece of mail with my name on it. I opened it and it said the county Gov't (next to the one I live in) "has reviewed court records" and there is an Outstanding Traffic Violation of Uninsured Vehicle from 1998 and that I must appear on the 17th.

What is strange is my parent's address had AZ in the state field on the envelope it came in, despite that everything else is correct. Eg....

15 cherry street
Bronx, Arizona 11212 (should have read: Bronx, NY)

I went to college in AZ... could they have got that from a credit report or something? I know a former AZ address appears in my credit report

And even more importantly can I give in to the temptation of just ignoring this w/o anything bad happening? I don't even know what the hell they're talking about. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Happy Trails

gotlawyer said:
My state is NY...I was having dinner at my parents' house (where I used to live up 'til 3 years ago) and noticed a piece of mail with my name on it. I opened it and it said the county Gov't (next to the one I live in) "has reviewed court records" and there is an Outstanding Traffic Violation of Uninsured Vehicle from 1998 and that I must appear on the 17th.

What is strange is my parent's address had AZ in the state field on the envelope it came in, despite that everything else is correct. Eg....

15 cherry street
Bronx, Arizona 11212 (should have read: Bronx, NY)

I went to college in AZ... could they have got that from a credit report or something? I know a former AZ address appears in my credit report

And even more importantly can I give in to the temptation of just ignoring this w/o anything bad happening? I don't even know what the hell they're talking about. Thanks in advance
I wouldn't ignore it. The letter made it to your parents home because the zip code was correct.

In 1998 did you receive a traffic violation while your vehicle was uninsured?

racer72

Go ahead and ignore it. Then one day in the future a police officer might see you commit a minor traffic offense. You are pulled over and when the officer runs your license, it comes back with an outstanding warrant. You are arrested and taken to the local jail. Your car is impounded and you are liable for all towing and storage fees. You could spend anywhere from a few hours to a couple weeks in jail while someone you have never met decides what should be done. The most likely scenario is you have to pay the outstanding ticket to be released. [Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry]"Do you feel lucky? Well do you?[/CLaDH]

sukharev

It's quite simple, really. If that ticket was yours, pay the fine outstanding, and move on. If not, then write a motion for dismissal to court (call them to find out whom to send it to) because the citation was never served to you. If the motion is denied, still pay the fine and move on.

gotlawyer

Huh?

No I don't feel lucky to answer the question. I am barely scraping by, and I get pulled over all the time/ have like 6-9 points (out of 12).

Anyway, I have never driven an uninsured vehicle. I must not have had the card with me when I was pulled over. Either that or they messed it up at the DMV when I sent it in; just like they did when they sent me a title with a lein they weren't supposed to.

So now what? Uninsured Vehicle -- that can be pretty stiff. I guess the good news is that it's so old my insurance won't have my @$$ for it.;)

Happy Trails

gotlawyer said:
Huh?

No I don't feel lucky to answer the question. I am barely scraping by, and I get pulled over all the time/ have like 6-9 points (out of 12).

Anyway, I have never driven an uninsured vehicle. I must not have had the card with me when I was pulled over. Either that or they messed it up at the DMV when I sent it in; just like they did when they sent me a title with a lein they weren't supposed to.

So now what? Uninsured Vehicle -- that can be pretty stiff. I guess the good news is that it's so old my insurance won't have my @$$ for it.;)
Then get your papers together and show them that you were never uninsured and have no recollection of this whole matter.

Then take it from there. You definately shouldn't ignore it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">