• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unknown Traffic Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Demascus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hello,

Was driving home from my normal work commute about 10:30 P.M. and was merging left from the entrance ramp onto an 2 lane interstate. I saw there was traffic in behind me in the lane in which I wanted to merge but there was plenty of distance and time to switch lanes. I turn on my turn signal and merge lanes. Seconds later a dark police SUV flies past me on the left lane merges in front of and and then moves onto the shoulder. Once I past him he pull out behind me and pulls me over. I immediately pull over on the short shoulder. I place vehicle in park, turn off the engine, place my keys on the dashboard and roll down my window. The officer comes up to the window screaming profanities at me in a tirade. He states that "I'm trying to get him killed", "Do you know how to f***ing drive?!" The officer orders to to pull up my car and merge over in another entrance ramp shoulder and park there. I do and rinse and repeat the steps above. Hes comes to the window again, based on the fact that both times, instead of running my plates he is sprinting to my window to continue yelling profanities. It is very clear that he is in some kind of hurry. He ask for my license and paper work, I hand him my license and ask permission to go into the glove box to look for my insurance and registration. Not being able to get my other paper work in the satisfactory time of 20 seconds he tells he will look up the rest of it on the computer and not to go anywhere. He comes back in under a minute, hands me my license, tells me I will receive a citation in the mail and speeds off. Never told me what I did wrong and the whole incident took about 4 minutes.

Mind you I have a clean driving record and I am a military vet, profane language doesn't really bother me. I did however find the experience incredibly unprofessional. The only conclusion I can make from what I did was that I cut him off. However I checked my mirrors and signaled and concluded at the time that I was clear to merge. In order for me to have cut off that officer he must have been going over the speed limit significantly and passing traffic in the right lane as opposed to the left. Based also on demeanor, again it was clear he was in a hurry. It's to my understanding that an officer not responding to a call or conducting a traffic stop still has to obey the laws of the road. I still don't even know what the citation specifically is for yet but based on the officer's demeanor I'm pretty sure he's going to check every box he can.

Any advice would be great.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hello,

Was driving home from my normal work commute about 10:30 P.M. and was merging left from the entrance ramp onto an 2 lane interstate. I saw there was traffic in behind me in the lane in which I wanted to merge but there was plenty of distance and time to switch lanes. I turn on my turn signal and merge lanes. Seconds later a dark police SUV flies past me on the left lane merges in front of and and then moves onto the shoulder. Once I past him he pull out behind me and pulls me over. I immediately pull over on the short shoulder. I place vehicle in park, turn off the engine, place my keys on the dashboard and roll down my window. The officer comes up to the window screaming profanities at me in a tirade. He states that "I'm trying to get him killed", "Do you know how to f***ing drive?!" The officer orders to to pull up my car and merge over in another entrance ramp shoulder and park there. I do and rinse and repeat the steps above. Hes comes to the window again, based on the fact that both times, instead of running my plates he is sprinting to my window to continue yelling profanities. It is very clear that he is in some kind of hurry. He ask for my license and paper work, I hand him my license and ask permission to go into the glove box to look for my insurance and registration. Not being able to get my other paper work in the satisfactory time of 20 seconds he tells he will look up the rest of it on the computer and not to go anywhere. He comes back in under a minute, hands me my license, tells me I will receive a citation in the mail and speeds off. Never told me what I did wrong and the whole incident took about 4 minutes.

Mind you I have a clean driving record and I am a military vet, profane language doesn't really bother me. I did however find the experience incredibly unprofessional. The only conclusion I can make from what I did was that I cut him off. However I checked my mirrors and signaled and concluded at the time that I was clear to merge. In order for me to have cut off that officer he must have been going over the speed limit significantly and passing traffic in the right lane as opposed to the left. Based also on demeanor, again it was clear he was in a hurry. It's to my understanding that an officer not responding to a call or conducting a traffic stop still has to obey the laws of the road. I still don't even know what the citation specifically is for yet but based on the officer's demeanor I'm pretty sure he's going to check every box he can.

Any advice would be great.
Wait for it.

anearthw

You can report unprofessional conduct to the officer's supervisor.

RE: call response
Many call responses require speedy attention but don't necessarily warrant emergency lights. If he seemed in a hurry and speeding, he was almost certainly on his way to something. You probably did cut him off and scared him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">