• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unkowingly made illegal left turn because of cop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sliguy101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

hi, i got a ticket for making an illegal left turn and crossing a double solid yellow line. I was coming out of a market place and came to a stop sign. The road i was about to enter had two double soldi yellow lines in the middle. But instead of making a right turn, i made a left and crossed the lines. The cop pulled me over asking me if i knew what i did. i told him that i didn't(it was the truth). he then told me that i crossed an international no crossing line.
The reason that i didnt know this was illegal was because i saw numerous other cars do the same exact thing that i did. In addition, i once saw a motorcycle cop parked on the sidewalk. he then drove off the sidewalk and drove straight through the double solid yellow lines to go to the other side of the street. he didnt turn right like he was supposed to. The cop didn't have any lights or sirens on when he did this so i dont think he was chasing anyone. After a cop and multiple drivers do this i was under the impression that we could cross the lines as long as it was safe. can i argue that its similar to an officer tricking me into crossing the lines. Is there any way that i can fight this? thanks

Hey There

ANSWERS to your questions are a click away.

One website with information on contesting a traffic ticket in CA. is
Help! I Got A Ticket! (Google this in the search window)
This website contains information on Discovery, Trial by Declaration and how to contest a traffic violation
as well as forms that can be downloaded to request Discovery and Trial by Declaration.

In CA. a driver can request a copy of the officer's notes, a copy of the front and back of the traffic ticket and a copy of the video if one was made.
A copy of the request for Discovery should be mailed certified, return receipt requested, by A FRIEND who gives the driver a Proof Of Service which the driver keeps along with his original request for Discovery.
One copy should be mailed to the District Attorney and one to the citing officer.
A written request for Discovery can be made at any time.
The sooner the better.
If Discovery isn't received within 15 days of receipt ,the driver then can request a court hearing to compel discovery be provided or dismiss the case.
Instructions on how to do this are described in a book published by NOLO on contesting traffic tickets in CA. as well as forms that can be copied to ask for Discovery, Proof of Service, Trial bt Declaration,
Trial de Novo etc,
A written declaration why the case should be dismissed can be submitted before trial (Trial by Declaration).
Trial by Declaration forms are available from a court clerk and the above mentioned website and book.
If the driver is ruled against he can ask for a NEW trial with a NEW judge if done within 20 days.
This is just a brief outline with detailed information provided in the above website and book although you could also access information by typing in key phrases pertaining to your Question.

What was the vehicle code # and description you were cited for?

Best Regards,
Hey There

I_Got_Banned

he then told me that i crossed an international no crossing line.
International? You mean the other side of the road was in another country?

The reason that i didnt know this was illegal was because i saw numerous other cars do the same exact thing that i did.
If you were to see a drunk driver on the road... does that give you the right to drive drunk?
Probably not...
Unfortunatly, the defense of "other people do it so why can't I?" wont work in court.

In addition, i once saw a motorcycle cop parked on the sidewalk. he then drove off the sidewalk and drove straight through the double solid yellow lines to go to the other side of the street. he didnt turn right like he was supposed to. The cop didn't have any lights or sirens on when he did this so i dont think he was chasing anyone.
An officer, while on duty, can do pretty much anything he/she wants (within reason) assuming it does not harm anyone & so long as it affords him/her the opportunity to effectively and efficiently do his/her job.

Also, a cop does not have to have his/her lights and siren on every time they are headed to an assignment/call. Some calls require the officers to approach quietly, other times they may need to turn on their lights and sirens to clear through traffic... You, have no idea where that officer was headed to therefore you can't say that he was out on a stroll.
After a cop and multiple drivers do this i was under the impression that we could cross the lines as long as it was safe.
Being "safe" is not the only criteria that makes it legal or illegal. There are usually other factors that contribute.

can i argue that its similar to an officer tricking me into crossing the lines.
If you can prove that the officer intentionally did this to trick you into believing that it is legal then I would suggest that you have a very good reason to claim that you were entrapped. But I highly doubt that you can prove that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">