• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful passing of a school bus...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zer0

I live in GA.

I am over the age of 21.

I was recently pulled over for unlawfully passing a school bus. First, let me say, that yes, I did do it. However, I did not pass it from behind or anything like that. I didn't speed around it. I was on an 8 lane highway, not divided. I was on the far right side of the road, the bus was headed the other way on the far left side. I didn't see the bus, due to heavy traffic, until I was almost even with it. I stopped, but, then realizing I was in an intersection, and just being stupid and confused, started to drive ahead. Don't ask me why, it was dumb. The police officer pulled me over immediately, I did not see him beforehand.

Now that I said the situation, let me say that I am not trying to get out of this, or anything like that. However, I would like to go to court, not to argue, or plead not guilty, but just to see if there is anyway to keep from getting 6 points on my license. I cannot find the average penalty for this violation in GA anywhere. I do not believe that it is an automatic suspension or anything, but I am curious. Finally, I have never been to court, so my main concern is what do I do, what do I say. Like I said, I am not going to argue the facts of the case, other than to apologize for making a mistake and expressing my intentions were not malicious or selfish. I would just like to state that I was not trying to save myself time, or sneak past the bus, or anything with ill-intentions, I was just stupid while I was driving. All I am really trying to do is keep my insurance from skyrocketing, because I feel that 6 points will probably have this effect. Anybody have any advice on what to do when I get to court?

Thanks in advance to all, I appreciate it.

/zer0

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
zer0 said:
I live in GA.

I am over the age of 21.

I was recently pulled over for unlawfully passing a school bus. First, let me say, that yes, I did do it. However, I did not pass it from behind or anything like that. I didn't speed around it. I was on an 8 lane highway, not divided. I was on the far right side of the road, the bus was headed the other way on the far left side. I didn't see the bus, due to heavy traffic, until I was almost even with it. I stopped, but, then realizing I was in an intersection, and just being stupid and confused, started to drive ahead. Don't ask me why, it was dumb. The police officer pulled me over immediately, I did not see him beforehand.

Now that I said the situation, let me say that I am not trying to get out of this, or anything like that. However, I would like to go to court, not to argue, or plead not guilty, but just to see if there is anyway to keep from getting 6 points on my license. I cannot find the average penalty for this violation in GA anywhere. I do not believe that it is an automatic suspension or anything, but I am curious. Finally, I have never been to court, so my main concern is what do I do, what do I say. Like I said, I am not going to argue the facts of the case, other than to apologize for making a mistake and expressing my intentions were not malicious or selfish. I would just like to state that I was not trying to save myself time, or sneak past the bus, or anything with ill-intentions, I was just stupid while I was driving. All I am really trying to do is keep my insurance from skyrocketing, because I feel that 6 points will probably have this effect. Anybody have any advice on what to do when I get to court?

Thanks in advance to all, I appreciate it.

/zer0
Truthfully talk to the prosecutor beforehand and tell him what you said here. See if he would allow you to pay a fine (whatever it is -- may be expensive) and not get points. In other words bargain with him. The worst he can say is no.

zer0

Ohiogal said:
Truthfully talk to the prosecutor beforehand and tell him what you said here. See if he would allow you to pay a fine (whatever it is -- may be expensive) and not get points. In other words bargain with him. The worst he can say is no.
Is that considered proper? I guess I am concerned with not knowing what I can or cannot say. Is it wrong to just say, "Your Honor, I am guilty of this violation, but I would like to plead to a punishment that does not include points on my license. Is traffic school an option?"

I think I am afraid if I say something like this to a judge, or prosecutor, they might be like, are you kidding me? Maybe I am just way over-estimating traffic court and I think that it is very formal, like on television.

/zer0

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
zer0 said:
Is that considered proper? I guess I am concerned with not knowing what I can or cannot say. Is it wrong to just say, "Your Honor, I am guilty of this violation, but I would like to plead to a punishment that does not include points on my license. Is traffic school an option?"

I think I am afraid if I say something like this to a judge, or prosecutor, they might be like, are you kidding me? Maybe I am just way over-estimating traffic court and I think that it is very formal, like on television.

/zer0
Approach the prosecutor and ask if what plea he would accept that would not entail you getting points. Yes you can talk to the prosecutor. But you cannot just walk up to the judge and start talking to him/her about the charge and what you plead to.

zer0

Should I go and talk to the prosecutor before the case starts? Is he just hanging around the courtroom? Like I said, I have no idea what the traffic court looks like. Do you walk and wait for your name to be called, or what? Anyway, so I guess I will just approach the prosecutor and ask if there is any option to plead guilty to a plea that does not put points on my license. Should I try and explain the circumstances or does he not want to hear that stuff? Thanks again to everyone who has responded.

Thanks,
/zer0

justalayman

If you have time, go down to a court session and observe.
When I got a ticket (in Indiana) it went like this.

You sat around for a long time. Eventually you were called up in front of the judge. He simply asked; would you like to plead guilty, represent yourself, acquire your own attorney, or (if applicable) apply for a public defender.

After the defendant responded one of the choices offered by the judge did include speaking with the PA.

If they said yes, they sat down until the PA called them up to talk with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">